Fists of Gork (or maybe Mork)

Naishy

I am looking to attend a local one day tournament and I was struggling to come up with a combined mixed destruction list that I liked, constrained mainly by the fact I have no-where near finished painting my Ironjawz and therefore limited to my current motley collection of Ogres and Greenskins (my old 8th Edition Armies)

Struck by the enjoyment of big smashy monsters I am considering running a Stonehorn and a Mawcrusha in the most subtle run forward a smash face kind of way.

Here is the list

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460) Battlebrew
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (520)
Maniak Weirdnob (100)
Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360) (Boss is the General) to give bellowing Tyrant (+1 to hit) and inspiring presance
- 18x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 2x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
10 x Orruks (100)
- Pair of Choppas
10 x Orruks (100)
- Pair of Choppas
10 x Orruks (100)
- Pair of Choppas
Units
20 x Savage Orruk Morboys (240)

Total: 1980/2000

The master plan is to pair up the two big fellas run them at the enemy  and then just choke the rest of the battlefield with green bodies (all 120 wounds of them) to hold objectives and slow down the enemy.  The question is how mad does this seem?

When my ogors reach me I'll try this list:

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
- Artefact: Battle Brew
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (520)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)

Battleline
6 x Ogors (240)
6 x Ogors (240)
3 x Ogors (120)

Total: 1980/2000

My main hesitation with using Ogors for battleline is that the small numbers limit their ability to control board space.  Using Orruks (if i had the models it would be Savage Orruks for the 2 wounds) can block off threats to the big boys and are also helpful where objectives are claimed by number of models.

I shall see how effective this list is in a week, it is rather dependent on the big guys dishing out the damage

16 hours ago, Naishy said:

I am looking to attend a local one day tournament and I was struggling to come up with a combined mixed destruction list that I liked, constrained mainly by the fact I have no-where near finished painting my Ironjawz and therefore limited to my current motley collection of Ogres and Greenskins (my old 8th Edition Armies)

Struck by the enjoyment of big smashy monsters I am considering running a Stonehorn and a Mawcrusha in the most subtle run forward a smash face kind of way.

Here is the list

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460) Battlebrew
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (520)
Maniak Weirdnob (100)
Battleline
20 x Orruk Ardboys (360) (Boss is the General) to give bellowing Tyrant (+1 to hit) and inspiring presance
- 18x Pair of Choppas or Smashas
- 2x Choppa or Smasha & Shields
10 x Orruks (100)
- Pair of Choppas
10 x Orruks (100)
- Pair of Choppas
10 x Orruks (100)
- Pair of Choppas
Units
20 x Savage Orruk Morboys (240)

Total: 1980/2000

The master plan is to pair up the two big fellas run them at the enemy  and then just choke the rest of the battlefield with green bodies (all 120 wounds of them) to hold objectives and slow down the enemy.  The question is how mad does this seem?

I've got 30 Orruks floating about for just such an occasion. Sadly they're cheap ones I got off ebay (already built, with choppas) - otherwise I'd be tempted to kit them out with bows to see if that little bit of (albeit, slightly useless) ranged attack helps out

• 2 weeks later...

So the results are in, not good I am afraid, two major losses and a minor win.

I rocked up somewhat naively to this local tournament thinking it would be a nice range of average strength armies and instead found 2 cunning rucks, one with snowball hurling friends, the other with 20 brutes to keep those arrerboyz extra safe.  Not so soft and cuddly! 

I played the cunning ruck & Brutes list and got tabled by battle round 4.  Even then I only lasted so long because he deployed badly and I managed to stay out of range with the big fellas for 2 turns. I gambled on a double turn, didn't get is and had both my monsters removed with 120 shots of pain (also quick note bellowing tyrant is +1 to all hits making it devastatingly good with these fellas) what was left was beaten to death by lots of angry brutes.- Major Loss

Up second against a Blades of Khorne army I had more success with the Ardboyz and Morboyz pinning most of the Khorne army in the centre of the board allowing the two big guys to roll up a flank and make a mess.  The Frostlord in particular was especially effective accounting for 5 Skullreapers, a bloodmaster, 20 blood reavers and a slaughter priest.  In the end objectives were tied and I won on VPs having lost only half my army to his three quarters. A bloody affair, befitting to the sons of GorkaMorka and Khorne.

My last game was against a pure Beastclaw list with two laser guided snowball throwers, Frostlord on Stonehorn and a bunch of Mournfang and Yhettis.  This was another major loss as both comets in gift from the heavens landed on the left hand side of the board and my waves of greenskins fell to the frost lord and his surprising effective Yhettis.  The big guys ran the gauntlet of snowballs and lost unfortunately.

So in conclusion, fun but ineffective.  On a wider note how are my fellow destruction buddies dealing with this heavy shooting meta?  I am thinking the monsters are going to have to stay at home for a while as they just do not stand up to the volume of shots at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Naishy said:

So in conclusion, fun but ineffective.  On a wider note how are my fellow destruction buddies dealing with this heavy shooting meta?  I am thinking the monsters are going to have to stay at home for a while as they just do not stand up to the volume of shots at the moment. 

I've gone with taking the Rogue Idol, run it as close to the offending unit as possible, and hope you make the required charge first turn. It should obliterate any one shooty unit within two turns easy. This is really dependent on deployment and good movement and charge rolls, though.

Archived