Scintillating Simulacra + "Exploding Sixes"?

RoloMcFury

Question

My question today pertains to the use of the Host Duplicitous spell, which forces an enemy unit to treat hits as misses and wound as failures to wound (and vice versa). When units have an ability that triggers on a "six or more to hit (or wound)," how does that interact when this spell is in effect? GW has frustratingly answered a similar question, pictured below, without actually answering the exact question that was asked. The implication would be that failures to hit cannot cause the "exploding six" effect, but GW stopped just short of actually saying that.

Tzeentch.PNG

2 answers to this question

56 minutes ago, RoloMcFury said:

My question today pertains to the use of the Host Duplicitous spell, which forces an enemy unit to treat hits as misses and wound as failures to wound (and vice versa). When units have an ability that triggers on a "six or more to hit (or wound)," how does that interact when this spell is in effect? GW has frustratingly answered a similar question, pictured below, without actually answering the exact question that was asked. The implication would be that failures to hit cannot cause the "exploding six" effect, but GW stopped just short of actually saying that.

Tzeentch.PNG

I would expect it to work like this;

- Player makes a hit roll of 6 or more, gets a reroll (since the dice modifier/number itself is not manipulated in any way) - but fails the hit.

I'm curious about how that interacts with other similar 6+ triggered abilities though. My theory is that units with abilities of 5+/6+ triggering added mortal wounds would prooobably fail to add that damage, since it (the wording) is assuming that their strike hits. I might be wrong about this though, as the wording might differ from unit to unit (will look into this later if no one beats me to it). I looked at the darkling coven's executioners as an example, and they seem to be unable to trigger their mortal wound bonus if faced with the host duplicitious spell. 

You're over thinking it. You treat hits as misses and misses as hits.
Some abilities trigger on a certain dice score.
Nothing makes those points dependent on each other; if you cause double damage on a ToHit roll of 6+, that doesn't imply you hit automatically. In this situation, it means your D1 attack became a D2 attack but you still missed with it.
If you get to reroll hit rolls of 1, you're not going to bother because that's a hit.
And so on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Archived