Miniature Storage - Magnetizing Really Useful Box Tutorial

Bradifer

Here's a basic tutorial for a method I found useful for miniature storage. This was convenient and easy to do and works for traveling to the local stores via car (USA).

This quick tutorial is designed to buy the materials on a Friday, and get the job done over a weekend. I put boxes in my car and drive around, so they are not toppling, aren't being dropped, and aren't being shipped. There are stronger methods of miniature storage via magnetization, but this is easy.

The basics of this tutorial:

1. Use Adhesive Magnetic Sheets stuck to the bottom of the box. (Cut the sheet to fit).

2. Glue Zinc-Washers (2 layers) to the bottom of the bases of your models.

3. You need 2 layers of washers because you need contact between washer and the magnetic sheet. It's a weak magnet, but you can do this entire job in a weekend, instead of thinking about it.

4. If you decide you want much stronger magnetization, save room on the bottom of the base to glue rare-earth-magnets, so you have magnet-to-magnet, which is much stronger.

5. Weighted models feel WAY more satisfying to move around in my opinion.

6. Pay attention to models with banners/standards. They can be a pain, even weighted down they are oddly balanced.

7. Two layers of these washers means the model's base is not making contact with the table any more. If that bothers you, definitely only try this on 1-2 infantry models first before doing the whole army.

Materials:

17L Really Useful Box

32L Really Useful Box (Only get this if you have models taller than a Treelord Ancient (appx 6.5")

Zinc washers. I recommend 1/4 in. and 5/16 in. Qty ~ 100 of each. (2 per model on small models, more on bases larger than 50mm. Do the math for your army.) (I got these from Home Depot / Lowe's)

Magnetic Adhesive Sheet from Michael's. Appx $11. Cheaper alternatives online perhaps. Size: 12in. x 24 in.

Super Glue, or whatever glue you want for the washers-to-base

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Open Imgur in a new Tab. Some of the pics have text. Some is redundant, some is new.

EDIT 2: Comments from this thread: http://www.tga.community/forums/topic/8552-magnetising-really-useful-boxes/

On 3/29/2017 at 6:35 PM, Phantajisto said:

20L for Infantry - fits up to height of the bloodsecrator banner.

33L for monsters - fits up to height of mierce miniatures Zhull. The Vortex beast fits fine also.

50L for scenery - fits up to height of Realm Gates standing up. Top section of Skull Keep fits too.

They all stack perfectly because they are same width/depth, just different heights. I'm very happy with them so far. Just may not be able to fit everything properly afterwards, depending on the thickness of the metal added underneath... Would be good to add it the sides too to fit taller models in the smaller boxes.

On 3/29/2017 at 4:21 PM, Casshern said:

• 11 months later...

Hi, I know this post is very old now but hopefully you can help me! I've done this for my latest army but I have the issue that the models are repelling each other due to the rare earth magnets in the bases. They are on 25mm bases, have you or anyone else ever had this problem and if so how did you solve it? Thanks! 

Archived