Scratch building in the age of sigmar?

Joakim

Howdy,

So I recently joined the forum after being a bit in hobby-limbo. I was drawn into the hobby by the old world fantasy and I love the humanz vs. greenskinz oldschool battles. However I also love the new GW kits and the apparent crazy models they are rocking, that so fits AOS while never would have had a place in the world that was.

Anyway, I have found myself more as a hobbyist current day, so rules and game system is getting less important although I hope to get back to playing/ rolling dice like a troll again one day. I love the idea of scratch building goblin or snotling contraptions, although rarely  finishing my projects (in true style), but I have found that the new kits and focus on factions-to be fluff/model-wise expanded has taken a bit of the home-builder steam overall.

So what is the status out there? When I google scratch built greenskin models/terrain or whatever else I see the most impressive stuff originating years back. Is this simply not a thing anymore? Are the new kits too complex by computer-aided design that they are too difficult to convert or by yourself? I have a love for the coming duardin models but I would never be able to get there using GS, plastic card and whatever I have in my hobby stash. Or is the scale creep of the new kits (or cost?!) prohibiting conversions using older bits? (I loove the blightking kit but it was impossible to use the extra bits with anything in my old bitbox around the release time)

Are the rest of you hobby homebuilder too slow to follow the steam of GW releases or what gives?

Maybe I dont miss the old world that much, but I for sure miss the creative nature from ´back then´.

I would be truly happy to see what homemade hobby project ended up on round bases :  )

Just take a look at the Painting and Modelling section of the forum and look for yourself ;) 

More kits from GW are just more material to the conversion God! Bitz to his throne!

I have seen impresive things made to Age of Sigmar, but you are comparing a game that has 2 years to a game that live during 30 years! Its obvius that looking in google you find less results. You only need to know where to look.

You have luck, tought, because you have come to the right place... 

I personally find it hard to kitbash because I think the current kits look so good out of the box. However, I would think that the many plastic kit out there these days would help. I have a lot of styrofoam left over from a move so it is my intenting to make things out of that, but like you I start something and then leave if to paint the models.

One thing that might work would be to use the Dreadhold kits mixed with extra bits off the Orruk sprues, perhaps even some of the 40k Ork Stompa sprues. Of course, you could cut your own designs out of plastic cards.

23 hours ago, Galas said:

Just take a look at the Painting and Modelling section of the forum and look for yourself ;) 

More kits from GW are just more material to the conversion God! Bitz to his throne!

I have seen impresive things made to Age of Sigmar, but you are comparing a game that has 2 years to a game that live during 30 years! Its obvius that looking in google you find less results. You only need to know where to look.

You have luck, tought, because you have come to the right place... 

I am pretty sure I posted in the painting and modeling section, so I have seen what is around and I am honestly still not seeing ´it´. That is not to take anything away from the awesome blogs here with beautifully painted models. But that is about it.

More newer kits that can be combined in scale are useful for conversion. Trying to make it fit with older kits is simply a very hard task. I see this as a deliberative more in GW´s design process. It is sad for conversions and using older models/lore (I say lore as the way of seeing models in the setting, not a cry out for the old world. This is about cool modeling : )

For sure the short time span of AOS is not comparable to WHF. BUT the two are not mutually exclusive ; ) I subjectively blame the new splash releases from GW. They have masterfully change the hobby game (literally too) so ´we´ jump from one new faction to the next whereas we previously could expand our previous army with a few new kits and point adjustment. Eg. I love the new ironjaws but currently I dont know if I should invest the time to rock my own hobbyjuice into creating something unique if the faction will never get new additions. But this should not be a discussion of GW business strategies or anything less motivational. I intended to spark something creative in the  hobby aspect.

All in all, I think and hope I have come to the right place - the potential is there for sure :)

22 hours ago, MKragh said:

I personally find it hard to kitbash because I think the current kits look so good out of the box. However, I would think that the many plastic kit out there these days would help. I have a lot of styrofoam left over from a move so it is my intenting to make things out of that, but like you I start something and then leave if to paint the models.

One thing that might work would be to use the Dreadhold kits mixed with extra bits off the Orruk sprues, perhaps even some of the 40k Ork Stompa sprues. Of course, you could cut your own designs out of plastic cards.

I think you hit it spot on.

The new kits are awesome and as from my previous post the rate and style of releases encourage a hobby style of buying the new stuff, painting it and move on to the next splash. GW afterall sell models, books and paint - not plastic card (but I wish they would sell more upgrade kits and additional sprues to kits...).

We are blessed with too much hobby and too little time.

Perhaps, we are also pushed too hard with amazing armies on display here and twitter and whatnot, that we cannot just share imperfect hobby efforts out of hobby-pride. I personally think that is a shame (as most of my stuff would fall in that category... not good enough, not finished enough etc.)

Anyway, Im off to a productive Saturday evening making GS mushrooms for my snotling terrain : ) ... I expect to be done next year  ;)

Archived