How do you handle multiple weapon types in a unit?

wayniac

Question

A friend of mine asked me this yesterday, and I didn't have an answer for him.  If you have a unit that can have multiple weapon types, then they only benefit if they have it, right?  I mean for example, if you have a unit of Chaos Warriors with shields, and a standard bearer who doesn't have a shield, how does that work?  You keep getting the shield bonus until only the standard is left, and then when it's just him he doesn't?  What about if he had a shield but no weapon, does he not get an attack?  That's how I figured it would work, it's just a bit confusing.

2 answers to this question

your first part is correct. the entire unit is counted as having weapon and shield, command squad included 

with units such as blood warriors there can be a gore glaive given to a model, this still benefits from the units load out afaik, so if they have dual axes he can still reroll ones, 

an yeah until it's a model without the units loadout so the banner guy or whatever the have those benefits.

what gets interesting is Tzaangors, you can equip the unit with dual weapons, shields and great weapons, and going by model removal an loadout bonus such as +1 to hit or rerolls etc, i believe you can decide which way to take it by removing models down to the dual hand weapon models and then remove them or the remaining shield guys depending on what you want, and then the remaining models gain potentially a new bonus 

A unit of Chaos Warriors has multiple weapon options.  You must choose ONE of these options to apply to the entire unit.  Standard bearers and musicians are included in this weapon type choice as per the FAQ

"Q: How do models like horn blowers and standard bearers work? Do they lose the weapons they would otherwise carry, or do you just gain the benefits of the upgrades without penalty?

A: You just gain the benefits unless specifically stated otherwise. The model is assumed to still have any weapons it had before it was upgraded, even if the weapons are not shown on the model itself."

Archived