Inside terrain/Cover bonus

Simple question, how do you use terrain to provide cover and how do you think it can be remedied?  

When we started playing the lack of terrain rules was refreshing and prohibitive all at the same time.  I hope GHB 2.0 expounds upon them a little.  Not looking for anything crazy like fortifications and different saves in 40k.  Just clarification of what "completely within" terrain means vs how it plays out.  really, without a large area base, most GW terrain itself would never provide a cover bonus except for the woods.  Given the lack of an actual platform on which to place models for most terrain, there is no way to actually get a unit within it to receive the bonus.  I prefer a simple adjustment of if your entire unit is within 1" of a piece of terrain and the terrain and the terrain piece is between the enemy unit and target unit than they get the cover.  For example, if I have a stone wall that my unit is behind but within 1", they should get the bonus if a unit on the other side of the wall is further away from the way and shooting at them.  

I am sure someone with better game writing skills could come up with a clearer and more succinct wording but generally common sense applies.  If a unit is taking cover behind a wall, they should get a save bonus.  

How do you use terrain and how do you think it could be better? 

We use the house rule of... if the shoot cross terrain, it gives cover (It the unit shooting its not in contact with the terrain: A unit shooting behind a wall will not give cover to the ones they are shooting in open field). And if models are behind other model (Max 2" of distance) , they give cover to. This is to help the problem of how easy its to gunlines to snipe the hero characters of some armys.

If we're actually using walls, fences, etc. then I'll suggest we at least us the "barricade" part of the official "Walls and Fences" scenery rules:

Barricade: If all of the models from a unit
are within 3" of a wall or fence, and are on
the same side of it, then the unit receives
the benefits of cover against attacks made
by models that are on the other side of the
wall or fence.

Otherwise, I just tend to play it as written, but most of the terrain at my local store has space to fit 10-20 models inside/on-top.

Archived