Lightning Hammer Text(s)

Turragor

Question

So I am reading a few warscrolls for SCE here and wondering about the lightning hammer for the LCoD.

3 units can have them in the SCE line up:

1. LCoD
  2. Concussors
  3. Retributors

They have a core rule - 6s to hit cause mortal wounds. Beyond this there are variations and each has a different ability name on their respective warscroll.

I want to get the LCoDs Lightning Hammer clear in my head:

Retributors

Blast to Ashes

The original and easiest to grasp (clearest text). 6s to hit are 2 mw instead of normal damage. So 6s to hit are the end of the line. No real questions here.

Concussors

Thunderstrike

Also clear text. 6s to hit cause 1 mw in addition to the damage caused by the attack. So 6s to hit are 1 mw and you continue with rolling to wound and the opponent rolling to save. Also prevents pile in. No real questions.

Lord Celestant on Dracoth

Lightning Hammer

This is what I want to double check. It's not super clear to me. Text in full for this one:

"If the result of a hit roll for this model's Lightning Hammer is 6 or more, the target immediately suffers two mortal wounds as warriors are blasted to ash, before the wound roll is made. If a unit suffers any mortal wounds in this way, it is stunned for the rest of the combat phase and cannot pile in before it attacks."

So some things of note for me when trying to work this out:

• "blasted to ash" is very close to "blast to ashes"
  • It prevents pile in like the concussors
  • The rules are written at the same time as the dracothian guard scrolls and the designers were probably thinking along the same lines
  • It doesn't explicitly state either the clear 'in addition to the damage caused' or 'instead of normal damage'.

It's like this scroll is a deliberate test of the somtimes silly text analysis we get up to in this question section!

My own view (how I've actually played it until I reread the scroll) is that this works like the concussors. It's stronger but the other 'hero versions' of the 3 dracothian guard melee weapons on the LCoD scroll are also stronger (axe, hammer, glaive).

Thoughts?

2 answers to this question

I don't think you can disregard the additional wording "before the wound roll is made", which implies that you still will do a wound roll for that attack. This distinguishes it from the other rules you mention.

It's not implausible that the hero has a better weapon than his troops.

#HammerTime

Archived