1k beastclaw newb list

Centuryslayer

I've been thinking about starting a beastclaw raider army because I love their mounts and I want an army with few models (I have a deathrattle horde and bloodbound).

Is this list even playable?

1 frostlord on stonehorn

2 mournfangs

1 thundertusk beastriders.

They are both helluva dangerous! They just serve different purposes.

The Frostlord on Stonehorn with Battle Brew can reliably dish out around 25 wounds per combat phase with a mix of rend -1 and -2. He is also incredibly durable. The Thundertusk does less damage, but spits out mortal wounds at 18" range. I definitely think that it's appropriate for the Stonehorn to be more expensive.

Of course, having only 4 models can hurt. In particular, playing the objective game will be difficult (especially Take and Hold, where you need 5 models to grab an objective :D). In many cases you will be dependent on annihilating your opponent to win. Alternative lists that remedy this problem would probably include the Skal formation. Examples:

Icebrow Hunter
Frostlord on Stonehorn
Mournfang Pack
2x2 Frost Sabres
Skal
7 models, 1000 points

Icebrow Hunter
Huskard on Thundertusk
Mournfang Pack
4x2 Frost Sabres
Skal
12 models, 1000 points

Icebrow Hunter
Huskard on Thundertusk
2x2 Frost Sabres
Thundertusk Beastriders
Skal
7 models, 1000 points

Thanks, might pick up the icewind assault box id they have it in stock here. That should give me my list and some options :)

Personal preference though is on the mounted guys. But the hunter has some really fun rules with his throwing spear and deployment shenanigans ^^

26 minutes ago, Centuryslayer said:

Thanks, might pick up the icewind assault box id they have it in stock here. That should give me my list and some options :)

Personal preference though is on the mounted guys. But the hunter has some really fun rules with his throwing spear and deployment shenanigans ^^

Yep, that box will give you plenty of options!

If you're going for two big ****** in 1k you're really going to have to wipe your opponent out entirely, or at least make sure they are never able to take objectives. This also puts a ton of emphasis on keeping those two alive. In the case of the stone horn that's quite easy, because it is a tank. But in the case of the thunder tusk, you have to be very careful with it. If it dies, you can't heal your stonehorn (without pelt) and there goes a huge chunk of both damage and staying power.

I was wondering if using a Skal and attempting to maximize the usage of 5's and 6's with everwinter's master would work. As in, running a ton of units of frost sabres in an attempt to maximize mortal wounds and basically have them pop up anywhere.

On 3/1/2017 at 6:12 AM, Centuryslayer said:

Thanks, might pick up the icewind assault box id they have it in stock here.

That's what got me into AoS in the first place.  I think I like the Mournfangs most of all but the sort of combined-arms synergy the faction has is great.  Plus Nordic Ogres?  Who wouldn't love that!

I'm also a big fan of the mournfang models ^^

Tbh I kind of dislike the ogres but love their mounts xD

Nice list Tom! Not a bad idea to get some more bodies on the ground. 

That latest rumour picture got me kind of holding off on getting anything (which of course ended up made me look at a bunch of other cool factions)... Godamnit GW :P

Archived