AOS Tactics - The basics of Zoning and Area Denial in Age of Sigmar

Matthijs

Hi!

I just finished another article on aos-tacticsZoning & Area Denial

In this post, I discuss the basics of zoning in Age of Sigmar by covering the following topics:

• The 3" rule
  • Who to zone with
  • Formations
  • Zoning Flying units
  • Zoning Teleportation units
  • Summoning & Area denial

Last week I got my first post on Warhammer Community which was totally exciting, you can check it out here.

Did I miss anything, do you have any feedback or would do you got any suggestions for my next topic? Let me know here or in a comment on the website! I love input and feedback.

If you want to stay tuned for my latest post, you can follow my AOS-Tactics Facebook Page.

Have a great day!!

Matthijs

39 minutes ago, StealthKnightSteg said:

I would add a little something concerning the 1" gap you have with the spacing of models. As with flying units an unit on 25mm bases could pass through your unit and end up on the otherside if you fail the depth of your zone.

Great point, I added it to the article. Might update it a bit later with an own small chapter :D Thanks!!!

EDIT: I changed it back again, the rules clearly state you can not move within 3". This means you can not move through and end 3" away from the enemy models. Thanks for the input tho!

While I think retreat deserves it's own article, you might want to mention the use of retreating from a combat, in order to use the zones to influence the outcome of a battle. 

Examples: 

1. Charging one of your inexpensive units into an enemy, causing 1 or 2 casualties then retreating past them (through the gaps) into a unit behind the enemy's front line, preventing follow up charges, or tactically separating their army from itself. 

2. Retreating a mounted hero into the middle of an enemy's charge path (sacrifice) to prevent another unit from being charged

3. Retreating to prevent an objective from being taken. For example: In the Watchtower battleplan, Retreat a nearby unit into the watchtower, after losing your defenders, but before your opponents next movement phase, denying their opportunity to occupy it. 

Archived