1k Starter List for a newbie. Tzeentch/Chaos

Kytlock

I am a new player, who is weighing a few options of where I want to start. Stormcast are the obvious goto right now, but I am also looking at other options cause I want something different. I stumbled across a battle report with 1k of Chaos/Tzeentch stuff that I absolutely love. How does this list look for a beginner?

Lord of Change (260) 

Varanguard (360)

Marauders w/ Shields (60) * I plan to use Tzaangors w/ shield in the place of actual marauders for flavor reasons. 

Exalted Flamer (120)

10 Mortal Warriors w/ Shields (180)

I love the look of the army and already have pictures in my head. The list did well in the report I watched, but overall how does it look to those who play? 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Arkiham said:

You wouldn't be able to run it as tzeentch as the varanguard can't be marked outside of a battle,  and they require archaon to do so 

Nut he could run it as a chaos list right? Or am I missing something. He has a leader (loc) and two battleline (marauders and warriors) and the rest is all in the chaos grand alliance. 

7 hours ago, Kytlock said:

I am a new player, who is weighing a few options of where I want to start. Stormcast are the obvious goto right now, but I am also looking at other options cause I want something different. I stumbled across a battle report with 1k of Chaos/Tzeentch stuff that I absolutely love. How does this list look for a beginner?

Lord of Change (260) 

Varanguard (360)

Marauders w/ Shields (60) * I plan to use Tzaangors w/ shield in the place of actual marauders for flavor reasons. 

Exalted Flamer (120)

10 Mortal Warriors w/ Shields (180)

I love the look of the army and already have pictures in my head. The list did well in the report I watched, but overall how does it look to those who play? 

Thanks!

Note, the Lord of change is now 300 points. I don't remember his previous cost.

So you're 20 points over the 1k mark.

Why not?

The Tzeentch allegiance adds so much flavor and so many cool options that I can't think of a single narrative or competive reason not to go full DoT.

That said, it's very small.  About 75% of your points are in 5 models - one of which is absurdly easy to remove.

Even Varanguard are not terribly hard to knock a model or two off of, which drastically diminishes their effectiveness.

At points this low, it should be LoC or Varanguard... not both.  Use the new points to grab some bodies that will allow you to claim and hold objectives longer.

Archived