Throst

Sand plus small bits of cork as rocks or use cork to make the whole base seem rocky :) Whichever you fancy.

Ive heard much good of the snow "paint" by GW, havent tried it personally but Ive seen brilliant looking snowbases done with it so it could be an easy choice for snow.

When I get around to mine, I plan on building up a rocky overlook with snow.  I'm going to try to layer some cork to create an overhang and have some icicles hanging from the rocks.

As for the snow, the new GW texture looks promising, but I haven't tried it yet.  You can also use several different types of snow to create various formations.  Snow flock mixed with PVA can allow you to create drifts and slush.  Secret Weapon Crushed Glass is also good for slush.

Personally, I'd use the snow from GW/Gale Force 9/etc rather than the Citadel texture paint, although that is acceptable.  Generally I include small slate chips or model railroad ballast, and small clumps of "dead" static grass.  I think it looks like a tundra without being all snow. 

Here's an example of it on some Space Wolves I did. They're blurry so that I could focus on the bases.

20170204_201610-1.jpg

I used chunky mulch pieces as rocks (sprayed black then dry brushed grey) then fill the base with polyfilla. you'll have to let it dry overnight. once that is dry I add some tufts and coat with woodland scenics snow to get the effect.

Thundertusk final2.jpg

Stonehorn2.jpg

Thundertusk&stonehorn.jpg

On 2/5/2017 at 1:22 AM, HeadHunter said:

Personally, I'd use the snow from GW/Gale Force 9/etc rather than the Citadel texture paint, although that is acceptable.  Generally I include small slate chips or model railroad ballast, and small clumps of "dead" static grass.  I think it looks like a tundra without being all snow. 

Here's an example of it on some Space Wolves I did. They're blurry so that I could focus on the bases.

20170204_201610-1.jpg

I like the look of these, it gets the feel of cold without being over the top :)

18 hours ago, Andz said:

I used chunky mulch pieces as rocks (sprayed black then dry brushed grey) then fill the base with polyfilla. you'll have to let it dry overnight. once that is dry I add some tufts and coat with woodland scenics snow to get the effect.

Thundertusk final2.jpg

Stonehorn2.jpg

Thundertusk&stonehorn.jpg

I really like the sow on the hooves, makes them feel more alive, like they're stomping through snow for real :)

22 hours ago, Throst said:

I like the look of these, it gets the feel of cold without being over the top :)

Thanks! That's basically what I was going for.  My older bases were all snow and looked very boring.  I realized I needed to add something to break up the monotony - so first I started adding stones, and when I saw the way snow looks on them I started just adding snow on regular grass bases.

The tundra effect looks so much better to me than endless snow.

Archived