Kunnin' Rukk: What Gives This A Run For Its Money?

Gauche

Hello,

I've been kicking around a few lists to build as my Slow Grow League climbs up and am settling into the usual Kunnin' Rukk nonsense. I've been seeing a few lists with two of these Battalions running around and I was wondering how scary this could really get. I came up with the following:

Leaders
Maniak Weirdnob (100)
Savage Big Boss (100)
Savage Big Boss (100)
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)

Units
40 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (400)
40 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (400)

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (60)
Kunnin' Rukk (60)

Total: 1980/2000

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So just to be clear, I'm not saying this list is unbeatable or anything like that. I'm not actually too keen on playing this as it seems like it could get very solitaire and take a lot of time to get through the Turns. Instead I was using this as more of a thought experiment on what gives this list problems and specifically what I could do to beat it if I came up against it. This seems valuable to me because spam is part of every game and coming from a competitive background I've always looked at the extreme ends of things and how my army could handle them, how I could play around them, etc. Here's what I could think of so far:

Scenario

This army has problems with some Scenarios, although it does very well on others. Three Places of Power is a huge issue and Borderwar isn't great, the rest are all fine to good as long as the model positioning is proper. You can also set the line of engagement way up and score in the meantime, really depends on composition, Scenario, and so on.

Hero Sniping

The list does rely a lot on the Big Bosses regardless of the remainder of the build and Big Bosses are very fragile. The problem with this is it's very unlikely that you can scalpel these out before the army gets at least one Turn of Kunnin' Rukk unless the opponent can reach very far across the board immediately, i.e. Warrior Brotherhood or Artillery (preferably that doesn't require LOS). Also after killing the Heroes, it still pumps out a ton of attacks.

High Threat Ranges

Anything that can reach out and touch from very far away would be expected to have some game, i.e. Settra, Sayl, Warrior Brotherhood, etc. The problem with some of this is that the list gums up the board so badly it'll be easy to deny landing zones and the Savage Orruks will just screen from the front. Some guns along with this would probably do better.

Alpha Strike

Pumping Wounds into the Unit of Arrow Boys that doesn't have Inspiring Presence and then removing the Big Boss for the Unit that does have Inspiring Presence would cut the most output for the army, although still leave it with quite a bit. This would, again, require the ability to reach out on Turn 1 with a variety of methods.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to reiterate, I don't think the above list is as min/maxed as possible but the core of it is what I think gives a huge majority or armies pause. It might be worth running more screens just to bubble wrap both Arrow Boys Units since the existing list could have some exposed flanks. You can also leave a short congo line of Arrow Boys to keep the Heroes as far back as possible and still keep the Buffs rolling.

I wanted to try and generate a competitive focused discussion on how to counter this list with the available tools. This would mean taking a list that can also beat other competitive lists besides Kunnin' Rukk, it's not practical to just sell out against shooting or something similar.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or am I just wasting my time and spinning my wheels?

Archived