Starting Small with Aelves

Nubgan

So I am looking at the beginnings of an Aelf force using Mistweaver Saih and the Tenebral Shard, with my first points goal 500 points for an in store AoS doubles tornament at the end of February. The issue I have is battleline however, Am I right in assuming that the only battleline for Aelves that isn't sub-faction specific is High Aelf Spearman? and am I also right in assuming the only place you can get this from is the Spire of Dawn Box?

I know when there is an eventual 'Here are the Aelves' moment we might see a new battleline unit, because currently you have 3 different spearman, archer, greatsword and cavalry units for each of the old elf races. What would be everyone eles suggestions for battleline with a 500 point limit (for the mean time) and is there a way I can avoid the OOP Spearmen?

I'm going to answer assuming the following: you are aware you could select other battleline units as long as you stay within the grand alliance order but are limiting yourself to elves?

i would probably buy dark elf dreadspears. They are an amazing battle line unit and match the shard in their wicked blades. By painting them with brighter colors instead of alle black and dark purples the could match the high elves units better. 

I am aware I can pick from and around order to fill the battleline, but just love Aelves. I currently have 2500pts old world points of Wood Elves and Dark Elves, but wanted to start something a little more AoS'y.

I think the issue I have is, because Mistweaver Saih and the Tenebral Shard don't have a sub faction, I will either have to convert like you have suggested or look in another area of order for the mean time.

44 minutes ago, chord said:

The Reavers are battleline not faction specific,  moves fast and shoots , but not good at melee.  So you'll also need a melee battleline

Might have to look at my generals handbook to be sure, but scrollbuilder has them as Swifthawk Agent battleline. If this was the case however, the Spire of Dawn box could definately be a decent investment for me, though even Reavers are no longer a by themself boxed unit either.

Scroll Builder's notation can be a bit confusing, but chord is correct, the Reavers are universal Order battleline. The difference is they are listed as Swifthawk Agents - Battleline, which is to say, part of Swifthawk Agents, but battleline for everyone, as opposed to the Shades or Spireguard, who are Swifthawk Agents Battleline, or battleline only for Swifthawk Agents allegiance.

After the battleline revelation from @whataseamus, I have relooked through scrollbuilder again and I think I have come up with a cool 500 points (only need 1 battleline for now). The theme I want to go for is a more shadowy feel, and I wanted to get kits that I could buy outside the Spire of Dawn box due to not being able to purchase more of particular units in there. So I went for:

Leaders
Mistweaver Saih (80)
- General
Tenebrael Shard (120)

Battleline
10 x Shadow Warriors (200)
- Swifthawk Agents Battleline
10 x Bleakswords (100)

Units

Total: 500/500

Thought Saih would be a better general because it won't hopefully be in peoples faces. The Bleakswords at smaller unit sizes have better benefits than spears, and I have never had any High Elf units so I picked the Shadow Warriors, decent enough attacks and the bow abilities aren't shabby either.

1 hour ago, Nubgan said:

After the battleline revelation from @whataseamus, I have relooked through scrollbuilder again and I think I have come up with a cool 500 points (only need 1 battleline for now). The theme I want to go for is a more shadowy feel, and I wanted to get kits that I could buy outside the Spire of Dawn box due to not being able to purchase more of particular units in there. So I went for:

Leaders
Mistweaver Saih (80)
- General
Tenebrael Shard (120)

Battleline
10 x Shadow Warriors (200)
- Swifthawk Agents Battleline
10 x Bleakswords (100)

Units

Total: 500/500

Thought Saih would be a better general because it won't hopefully be in peoples faces. The Bleakswords at smaller unit sizes have better benefits than spears, and I have never had any High Elf units so I picked the Shadow Warriors, decent enough attacks and the bow abilities aren't shabby either.

Looks great especially as they have a bit of the darkish theme. Playing devils advocate as a Dark Elves player. I would consider swapping the bleak swords for 10 dreadspears or dark shards. I find them great in small games. 20 shots is a great ranged thread and the dreadspears are great at defending objectives. And both are battleline for order. 

Mostly because the 6's to hit happen so rarely with just ten bleakswords.

just something I would consider. 

Archived