Distributing wounds.

Celestant651

Question

13 answers to this question

Per the 4-page rules, you get to pick which model in your unit dies each time it's necessary to allocate wounds. For multi-wound models, you must first kill whichever model you allocated wounds to previously.

Essentially, that banner-bearer stays on the field until you decide it's time for him to die.

There's also one extremely common thing which also affects individual models, which is Deadly Terrain. This is commonly misplayed, but plainly affects the particular models running/charging onto/over the terrain, so roll for the Starsoul maces etc. separately.

1 hour ago, Squirrelmaster said:

There are a few rare abilities that can kill a specific model (such as Nagash's Hand of Dust), but usually the controlling player chooses how to allocate wounds.

If it really worries you, take two standard bearers instead of one.

You can do that???? Where does it say that in the rules? My brothers are really picky about rules. They thought D6 means that you would have to roll a dice and it would have to land on a six for me to raise the dead.

7 minutes ago, Celestant651 said:

You can do that???? Where does it say that in the rules? My brothers are really picky about rules. They thought D6 means that you would have to roll a dice and it would have to land on a six for me to raise the dead.

They're picky about rules yet apparently didn't read the TOOLS OF WAR section of the 4-page rules that indicates a 6-sided dice is abbreviated "D6."

43 minutes ago, Celestant651 said:

But A rule that makes it so you can add more standard-bearers in a unit 

Most warscrolls (as far as I'm aware) that allow standard-bearers use terminology like "Models in this unit may be standard-bearers." There never has been a requirement that you are restricted to one banner/standard per unit.

As far as how "gamey" or "beardy" it would be to add more banners... that's up to you and your opponents.

Yep, the scroll for skeleton warriors (for example) says "The leader of this unit is a Skeleton Champion", "Models in this unit may be Icon Bearers or Standard Bearers", and "Models in this unit may be Hornblowers". Therefor you must have exactly 1 champion, but you can have any number of standards, icons, and musicians.

Bear in mind, though, the effects of icons and standards don't stack — you get D6 models back per hero phase for having any icons or standards in the unit, but only D6 no matter how many you have.

The biggest argument I've heard against multiple banners is that back in "Warhammer Fantasy Battles" (the predecessor to Age of Sigmar), each unit could only have one musician and one standard bearer. Most could only have one champion.

Well, that and a unit of 20 banners, 19 musicians, and one champion would probably look really ugly. Most people I've met wouldn't object to two banners in a unit of 20+ models, though.

On 1/25/2017 at 0:06 PM, rokapoke said:

For multi-wound models, you must first kill whichever model you allocated wounds to previously.

It was my understanding that this is just per-attack.  In other words, if an attack does 3 wounds, you need to allocate all of those to one model unless it dies from one or two.

If I'm understanding correctly, if you had, say, a Yhetee who took two wounds in a previous attack, you wouldn't have to keep soaking wounds to him from future attacks, you could assign the new attacks to a different model.  Is that not correct?

1 hour ago, HeadHunter said:

It was my understanding that this is just per-attack.  In other words, if an attack does 3 wounds, you need to allocate all of those to one model unless it dies from one or two.

If I'm understanding correctly, if you had, say, a Yhetee who took two wounds in a previous attack, you wouldn't have to keep soaking wounds to him from future attacks, you could assign the new attacks to a different model.  Is that not correct?

See the FAQ: page 4, third question down on the right hand side. The store I played at initially ruled it the way you state, but GW has clarified their intentions to mean that only one model in a unit can have wounds on it at any given time.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Errata/warhammer_aos_rules_en.pdf

Archived