Scaling abilities and Clanrats' Strength in Numbers

Sastopher

Question

Strength in Numbers: You can add 1 to the wound rolls for Clanrats if their unit has 20 or more models. If the unit has 30 or more models, you can add 1 to their hit and wound rolls.

Do these two lines stack, resulting in +1 hit, +2 wound with 30+ clanrats? I ask because they're missing the "Instead" that other similar rules descriptions include. E.G.

Giant Rats

Wave of Rats: If a unit of Giant Rats has 10 or more models, you can add 1 to their hit rolls. If the unit has 20 or more models, you can add 2 to their hit rolls instead and they each make 2 attacks. If the unit has 30 or more models, you can add 3 to their hit rolls instead and they each make 3 attacks.

Plaguebearers of Nurgle

Cloud of Flies: Plaguebearers attract great clouds of flies that buzz about them, obscuring them from view. Your opponent must subtract 1 from any hit rolls made in the shooting phase that target a unit of Plaguebearers. If this unit contains 20 or more models, your opponent must instead subtract 2 from these hit rolls, as well as subtracting 1 from any hit rolls that target it in the combat phase.

5 answers to this question

On 12/18/2016 at 10:58 AM, Squirrelmaster said:

Yes, they stack. The word “instead” is only included when both bonuses affect the same stat.

hmm might be that it doesn't translate well from Dutch but doesn't the word 'If' mean you either apply scenario one: 10+ models or scenario two: 20+ models? 

Happy to be corrected but I can't remember anyone playing it that the bonuses stack. 

46 minutes ago, Kramer said:

hmm might be that it doesn't translate well from Dutch but doesn't the word 'If' mean you either apply scenario one: 10+ models or scenario two: 20+ models? 

Happy to be corrected but I can't remember anyone playing it that the bonuses stack. 

No, I don't think so. “If” just means the scenario depends on a condition. Words like “instead”, "otherwise”, "either”, "or", and “else” would mean only one can apply.

I can't remember playing against clanrats, or anything else with this wording, but I would certainly expect it to stack.

41 minutes ago, Squirrelmaster said:

No, I don't think so. “If” just means the scenario depends on a condition. Words like “instead”, "otherwise”, "either”, "or", and “else” would mean only one can apply.

I can't remember playing against clanrats, or anything else with this wording, but I would certainly expect it to stack.

Fair enough. 

Archived