Number of ranks that can attack on 25mm bases

Wild Dave

Question

Hey all,

Our group play that only the first rank can attack for 25mm based models if they have a 1" attack range with their melee weapon. However, I just watched a second battle report online where one player was attacking in ranks of two with 1" ranged ghouls on 25mm bases. 

My question to you is:

Can models in a unit on 25mm bases attack with their first rank only or can their second rank also attack? 

Our group came to the consensus that RAI were that a 1" base was supposed to equal a 25mm base meaning only the first rank should attack and the benefit of bringing a 2" ranged option, like spears is that you would get to attack with a second rank. An inch is 25.4mm so whilst a second 25mm base is technically within 25.4mm by 0.4mm it seems a bit gamey to allow a second rank to attack without positioning in the slight indents between the circle bases. 

I'd be keen to hear some people's thought as would add value to my undead army if it was considered the norm although this is not how we currently play. 

Cheers

4 answers to this question

That wouldn't happen to be my battle with Riyathe's Aelves would it? :) 

We've always played locally that 1" reach models can attack in two ranks if they're within/up to 1" :)

Given that 1" is greater than the supplied base for ghouls, then the second rank can attack. 

If others feel it's not right then  I'll let the tournament players of Scotland know as we've been doing it for a while now haha ? How is it played elsewhere?

On 15/12/2016 at 0:15 AM, NiallJC1984 said:

That wouldn't happen to be my battle with Riyathe's Aelves would it? :) 

I would happen to be your battle @NiallJC1984 although no spoilers as I'm only half way through! It was the second time in a week I'd seen it done.

I played a game last night where I attacked in two ranks for the first time and it felt very strong, for obvious reasons. I'd generally felt that the ghouls were fairly over-costed but this will likely make me re-think that.

I just want to be consistent with how the tournament scene plays as we're hoping to get involved soon.

Thanks for the answers and awesome looking FEC's, hope to see them in more bat-reps!

Cheers

Archived