Halving Wounds Rule

Razorfate

Question

I would like to ask about the halving wounds rule such as Necrosphinx's scred War statue rule. It says to halve any wounds and mortal wounds the model is inflicted.

Does this rule mean that if a necrosphinx is dealt 10 wounds from an attacking skeleton unit ( each attack generates 1 wound), then it looses 5 wounds or, it is dealt 10 wounds from a vargheist unit (each attack is worh 2 wounds) and it suffers 5 wounds or both?

Thank you for the replies.

10 answers to this question

There are 2 stages to inflicting damage.
When you fail a save, damage is added to the *unit's* damage pool.
When all attacks from the currently attacking unit have been resolved, you then assign damage from the *unit* damage pool to *models* in the unit.
This can be a confusing concept when the unit is a single model!!
The half-wounds abilities tend to kick in at the second stage.
So for example, Unit A inflicts 10 wounds on the Necrosphinx.
The *total* damage caused is then halved to 5, and deducted from the Necrosphinx.
Think of it this way - as you have to round halves up - if you applied the rule every single time the Necrosphinx was wounded, it would take the same number of D1 hits to kill it as D2 hits, which is obviously silly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Think of it this way - as you have to round halves up - if you applied the rule every single time the Necrosphinx was wounded, it would take the same number of D1 hits to kill it as D2 hits, which is obviously silly.

Sounds about right but is there any FAQ on this? Couldn't find it and could understand interpreting the other way

It's not specifically covered in the FAQ because the first situation cannot occur if you strictly follow the rules of generating and applying damage. However, you can take inferred functionality from the example in the FAQ regarding the Phoenix Guard 's save roll.
The Necrosphinx *unit* is a discrete rules construct to the Necrosphinx *model*, remember.

40 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

There are 2 stages to inflicting damage.
When you fail a save, damage is added to the *unit's* damage pool.
When all attacks from the currently attacking unit have been resolved, you then assign damage from the *unit* damage pool to *models* in the unit.
This can be a confusing concept when the unit is a single model!!
The half-wounds abilities tend to kick in at the second stage.
So for example, Unit A inflicts 10 wounds on the Necrosphinx.
The *total* damage caused is then halved to 5, and deducted from the Necrosphinx.

Thanks for the reply.

I may indeed interprit that halving the damage rule can work to protect against units with higher damage attacks. I'd like to hear more opinions about this rule.

I don't think the rules really distinguish between a unit and a model like that. Rather, wounds aren't actually inflicted at all until you have completed all the attacks a unit is going to make. See the first sentence of "Inflicting Damage".

Resolve all the attacks a unit is going to make. Add up the total number of wounds caused, then halve it. Whether you take Deathless Minion saves before or after that is up to the controlling player, I guess.

I don't think the rules really distinguish between a unit and a model like that. Rather, wounds aren't actually inflicted at all until you have completed all the attacks a unit is going to make. See the first sentence of "Inflicting Damage".
Resolve all the attacks a unit is going to make. Add up the total number of wounds caused, then halve it. Whether you take Deathless Minion saves before or after that is up to the controlling player, I guess.

FAQ specifically states that "Ward saves" come in to play after damage has been pooled.

Thanks for the reply.
I may indeed interprit that halving the damage rule can work to protect against units with higher damage attacks. I'd like to hear more opinions about this rule.

I get where you're coming from, but it doesn't follow strict reading of the rules.
See "Inflicting damage".
Damage is not inflicted on a model until the damage had been pooled for the unit. So the rule cannot come in to play until that point.

2 hours ago, Razorfate said:

I'd like to hear more opinions about this rule.

And you could always bring it up before the game to prevent a heated argument when/if you happen to interpreted it differently. 

Again I always read it as gather all wounds of that pile in (including mounts, special attacks etc) that are not saved and then halve it. But I do understand the other way of reading it. 

Archived