Collecting Slaves with Elf Pirates

CaptainNippon

Hi everyone,

I'm new to AoS and my dark elves are eagerly awaiting their first battle. My plan was to run a battleshock-centred force with roughly this outline:

- Corsairs (their special ability being the heart of this strategy)

- Lorkhir Fellheart (his Command ability boosts the Corsairs' special ability from 6+ to 4+)

- Fleetmaster (Fits the theme, is a good melee fighter and serves as a vehicle for Lorkhir's Command ability)

- Kharibdyss (draws fire, is strong in melee and its special ability synergizes well with the strategy)

- Dark Riders (mobile ranged support with a special ability that synergizes with the strategy.)

- Harpies (Another very mobile unit with a synergistic special ability)

- Scourgerunner Chariot (mobile ranged support with bonus against monsters)

The idea is to run around and shoot things, pick the right targets to engage in close combat and cause battleshock tests to produce a bunch of casualties with all those special rules. The more mobile elements of this force take care of mission objectives.

I haven't got the General's Handbook yet, so this was made with the legacy scroll for Dark Elves in mind. 

Please let me know what you think and whether you have any suggestions or even experience with this strategy.

I don't have the harpies or chariot so I don't play them. That said I feel battle shock is such a small part of the battles I play it might not be as effective is you want. Every general by definition has a no battle shock command ability and most races more option. But let me know how it goes ?

14 hours ago, Kramer said:

I don't have the harpies or chariot so I don't play them. That said I feel battle shock is such a small part of the battles I play it might not be as effective is you want. Every general by definition has a no battle shock command ability and most races more option. But let me know how it goes ?

Hi, thanks for your answer. I didn't know about that Command Ability - I guess that would hamper this strategy to a large degree. 

I'll get my hands on the general's handbook first, so I have a better picture of the rules. You do play Dark Elves though, right? Could you give me any general pointers to some of the units/strategies involving Scourge Privateers? 

4 hours ago, CaptainNippon said:

Hi, thanks for your answer. I didn't know about that Command Ability - I guess that would hamper this strategy to a large degree. 

I'll get my hands on the general's handbook first, so I have a better picture of the rules. You do play Dark Elves though, right? Could you give me any general pointers to some of the units/strategies involving Scourge Privateers? 

Yeah sure. First off. The command ability im referring to is called inspiring presence: ' pick a unit from your army that is within 12" of your general. The unit you pick does not have to take battle shock tests until your next hero fade'. 

Couple of pointers on privateers (to be honest got mine two months ago so only played them couple of times.). 

Inspiring presence is available to every general but because it only targets one unit you can decide who you force the battle shock on. 

Additionaly it's allowed to shoot into combat. So I try to support the charge/round of combat by killing a couple of models in the shooting fase. That has given me success in the past. 

So try to get some synergies going by supporting your corsairs. 

Two things to remember. 

1 against units with multiple wounds per model the amount of kills you make lessens. And so the battle shock effect lessens. Although that also means every model that flees is worth more. 

2 a couple of armies have solutions for battle shock. Battle standards/magic/abilities. So make sure you understand those abilities your opponents might use. 

For example I play against duardin a lot. If I see he brings his battle standard bearer I know he can create a bubble of 16" in which no duardin takes a battle shock test. 

So that means I try to separate the army. Divide and conquer and all that ;) 

On 10/13/2016 at 1:32 AM, CaptainNippon said:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to AoS and my dark elves are eagerly awaiting their first battle. My plan was to run a battleshock-centred force with roughly this outline:

- Corsairs (their special ability being the heart of this strategy)

- Lorkhir Fellheart (his Command ability boosts the Corsairs' special ability from 6+ to 4+)

- Fleetmaster (Fits the theme, is a good melee fighter and serves as a vehicle for Lorkhir's Command ability)

- Kharibdyss (draws fire, is strong in melee and its special ability synergizes well with the strategy)

- Dark Riders (mobile ranged support with a special ability that synergizes with the strategy.)

- Harpies (Another very mobile unit with a synergistic special ability)

- Scourgerunner Chariot (mobile ranged support with bonus against monsters)

The idea is to run around and shoot things, pick the right targets to engage in close combat and cause battleshock tests to produce a bunch of casualties with all those special rules. The more mobile elements of this force take care of mission objectives.

I haven't got the General's Handbook yet, so this was made with the legacy scroll for Dark Elves in mind. 

Please let me know what you think and whether you have any suggestions or even experience with this strategy.

Ola Captain,

have you already played your first game? How did it go?

Hey, not yet - I'm still in the assembly and paint phase :) I just got an unassembled Kharibdyss for half the original selling price that's going to arrive tomorrow. My first batch of Corsairs and a Fleetmaster are ready to get painted and I have a few conversions coming as well. Once I have something to show, I might start a thread for the whole thing.

I don't know how many points you have or are looking into assembling, but as has been said, you're going to have a challenge on your hands if you're banking on Battleshocking every game!

For instance, besides the "no battleshock tests" abilities which are common to Order, all Daemons, Seraphon and Undead have Bravery 10.

Because of this, I would recommend having a backup plan in place. Perhaps another Hydra to get some more monster Oomph or a few Repeater Bolt Throwers for some nice ranges covering fire. Whatever you decide, having plan B consist of killing stuff the old fashioned way would be a simple and wise move!

1 minute ago, Undead4Life said:

I don't know how many points you have or are looking into assembling, but as has been said, you're going to have a challenge on your hands if you're banking on Battleshocking every game!

For instance, besides the "no battleshock tests" abilities which are common to Order, all Daemons, Seraphon and Undead have Bravery 10.

Because of this, I would recommend having a backup plan in place. Perhaps another Hydra to get some more monster Oomph or a few Repeater Bolt Throwers for some nice ranges covering fire. Whatever you decide, having plan B consist of killing stuff the old fashioned way would be a simple and wise move!

Yeah, it seems I have to stray a bit from the pirates only theme... which is not the worst thing tbh. What really irks me is that the Forgeworld Merwyrm is part of Destruction and Dark Elves are order. Thematically theres 0 units from other order-factions that I'd include in my army.

6 hours ago, CaptainNippon said:

Yeah, it seems I have to stray a bit from the pirates only theme... which is not the worst thing tbh. What really irks me is that the Forgeworld Merwyrm is part of Destruction and Dark Elves are order. Thematically theres 0 units from other order-factions that I'd include in my army.

Well i think the fluff of the reaper bolt throwers was that they were used to clear decks in a volley. So they fit. 

Monsterwise I don't see a clear fit either. Even if you paint them 'evil'

13 hours ago, Undead4Life said:

The Carmine Dragon is pretty badass! It's basically just a generic dragon on steroids. Paint it black with white scales in the shape of a skull and crossbones and you're set!

It is badass indeed and could double as a black dragon easily. I'll definitely keep that one in mind if I can't find a more maritime dragon.

6 hours ago, Kramer said:

Well i think the fluff of the reaper bolt throwers was that they were used to clear decks in a volley. So they fit. 

Monsterwise I don't see a clear fit either. Even if you paint them 'evil'

Yes, those are definitely on the list. Do you know any fitting models? The dark elf ones are no longer available and I think they were metal only, which I'm trying to avoid. 

2 minutes ago, CaptainNippon said:

It is badass indeed and could double as a black dragon easily. I'll definitely keep that one in mind if I can't find a more maritime dragon.

Yes, those are definitely on the list. Do you know any fitting models? The dark elf ones are no longer available and I think they were metal only, which I'm trying to avoid. 

Thats a shame. Because I loved the metal vertical one. If it has to be plastic I image your stuck with a heavy conversion. You sure you don;t like this one:31VDJMEQ6GL.jpg

It does look nice and I actually had two of them back when the 6th ed. dark elves were released, but I gifted them to a friend...

I'll probably have to try and get my hands on them again. There are not many bendy parts on them anyway, so the metal is not too big of a problem in this case.

Archived