New player, 1500 points of Legion of Azgorh

Red Bull

Hello,

I've recently decided to convert my Chaos Dwarfs to AoS and I need some advice. Here's what I have access to:

Taur'uk

3 Castellans/Daemonsmiths

40 Ironsworn

30 Fireglaives

6 Bull Centaurs

Deathshrieker

Magma Cannon

Giant

With the above models, I was looking to create a well-rounded 1500 point list. Here's what I came up with:

Castellan (general)

Castellan

Daemonsmith

Taur'uk

20 Ironsworn

10 Fireglaives

10 Fireglaives

3 Bull Centaurs 

3 Bull Centaurs

Deathshrieker

Magma Cannon

How does that look for starting out? Should I try to squeeze a Giant in?

Any recommendations on models to purchase next? I'm going to get Drazhoath just because the model is awesome. But other than that, I'm not sure.

Welcome! I'm a new LoA player myself (though have been playing AoS for a while with Orruks & Grots).

Looking at your list, yeah a behemoth couldn't hurt but the Bull Centaurs could sort of fill that roll, at least for a little while. I also wanted to point out that if you did add a giant, your army would unfortunately not be eligible in matched play, as the Ironsworn/Fireglaives are only battleline if your entire army is the LoA faction. I know, it sucks, I want to run a giant too.

So, to cover that, may I suggest the Iron Daemon? It being my favourite model aside (who doesn't love a murderous train?), it's got potential at least!

May I ask, what colour scheme will you be painting (or have painted) your dwarves?

I meant the Chaos Siege Giant, that's LoA, right? I could go skullcracker though.

I planned on eventually going a more aggressive army, so that's why I was leaning towards a giant or skullcracker instead of an iron daemon.

I haven't settled on a final scheme, but I've painted up a single Ironsworn. I went with bronze armor, red shield, and steel color for the chainmail and trim on the shield. I think it looks nice, but I'm worried that I'll want more red with with fireglaives since they don't have shields. Might try to add some red on the helms or maybe shoulders.

5 minutes ago, Furious said:

Oh yeah CSG is totally LoA, my misunderstanding. He's cool too - though pales in comparison to the other type of giant.

It's funny - I've not seen a LoA scheme that doesn't include red! I've gone grey, red, yellow and white myself.

Probably all that volcano imagery. Almost all their art in the FW book has flames everywhere haha

How do you think the Siege Giant stacks up compared to the Skullcracker?

On paper, it seems a bit more reliable - but I don't have the points values for either with me atm. If they were priced the same/about the same, I'd say the cracker seems like the slightly better value. The siege giant warscroll just doesn't do anything for me to be honest - an vastly inferior giant, really.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

I would use the fireglaives. All 30 of them in 1 unit. 

Its great unit. Kills most monsters in a single volley and can sit on objectives too 

Yeah I wasn't quite sure what numbers work best per unit in this game. I thought 2 units would make my opponents split their fire, but I certainly see how scary a big unit would be.

Do you think Ironsworn work best in large units also? Or are they even worth taking? I was planning on a large unit of 20 so my daemonsmith could mystic shield them. I don't know how effective spiteshields will be, but they make me smile.

2 hours ago, Furious said:

On paper, it seems a bit more reliable - but I don't have the points values for either with me atm. If they were priced the same/about the same, I'd say the cracker seems like the slightly better value. The siege giant warscroll just doesn't do anything for me to be honest - an vastly inferior giant, really.

The skullcracker is 20 points more at 240. So it sounds like it's a wash. I'll probably take neither and just invest in Bull Centaurs, which is my favorite unit anyway.

I've found the Iron Daemon to be miles better than the skull cracker.  In combat both of them are pretty miserable compared to other 240 point combat units.

The Iron Daemon does the things that the Skull Cracker can do (drag artillery, take up board space and block movement) but also gets to shoot.  

Its cannon is pretty effective.  2D6 shots that get re-rolls at 6" range and wound on a 3+ when undamaged with rend -1.  It soon chips away.  

18 hours ago, Ben said:

I've found the Iron Daemon to be miles better than the skull cracker.  In combat both of them are pretty miserable compared to other 240 point combat units.

The Iron Daemon does the things that the Skull Cracker can do (drag artillery, take up board space and block movement) but also gets to shoot.  

Its cannon is pretty effective.  2D6 shots that get re-rolls at 6" range and wound on a 3+ when undamaged with rend -1.  It soon chips away.  

Good to know. I'll bump it up in my my list of things to buy.

I'm going to play around with different infantry unit sizes too. Might do units of 10 and 20 for each infantry type, so I can do the Blackshard Warhost. First few games are just going to be test runs for various units

Archived