Gruntas and Coherency

Bobberto

So with the update to Coherency, reinforced MSU3 units no longer have to be in range of two of their squadmates. As size 3 unit with a relatively large base, this is a welcome change for Gore-Gruntas.

Previously, as someone who only actually owns six (for now...), for me it was always a no-brainer to run two min-size units if I was running them all. Making the coherency work while getting them all into combat was a pain. Now that they can all just stand in a line, I have a question for all of you Bloodtoofs players out there (and anyone else who was reinforcing them): is taking a single unit of six actually better than two units of three? Given how big they are, it feels like they'll struggle to all get into combat anyway, and with their mobility it feels like two smaller units will be more flexible while still being able to group up if a specific place needs to be smashed hard.

1 hour ago, Bobberto said:

So with the update to Coherency, reinforced MSU3 units no longer have to be in range of two of their squadmates. As size 3 unit with a relatively large base, this is a welcome change for Gore-Gruntas.

Previously, as someone who only actually owns six (for now...), for me it was always a no-brainer to run two min-size units if I was running them all. Making the coherency work while getting them all into combat was a pain. Now that they can all just stand in a line, I have a question for all of you Bloodtoofs players out there (and anyone else who was reinforcing them): is taking a single unit of six actually better than two units of three? Given how big they are, it feels like they'll struggle to all get into combat anyway, and with their mobility it feels like two smaller units will be more flexible while still being able to group up if a specific place needs to be smashed hard.

This change is enormous for GG's and was specifically aimed at them (plus a few others), I actually remember complaining about how it should be 6 to the lead dev at Warhammerfest xD (he was the head judge).

What you need to realise is that a unit of 6gg's and a unit of 3 actually two very different roles. At 3 they function as medium cavalry, avoid enemies big hammer units while trying to get on objectives/backline units/support heroes, a single casulty cuts their damage output by 1/3rd and it's not really worth putting a warchanter buff on them. At 6 they are shock cavalry, they can and will chew through important enemy units. You definitely want to put a warchanter buff on the 6s and they absolutely demolish stuff.

So the question you need to ask yourself, do you want two units of medium cavalry or one unit of shock cavalry. Really depends on how you use them.

• Like 1