The Mournhold Resistence

CDM

I've recently decided to do a Cities of sigmar army based on cursed city.  I recently picked up Hexbanes hunters and the Van Denst's and want to incorporate them into a Mournhold ascendant force (although as non named just the models!)

The idea is based off the fluff from the bit we get from the soulblight battletome and other bits.  Now Radukar is roaming around as the beast and some of his thirsting court are vying for power the city is slowly reclaiming some of its power, albeit on knife edge.

My thoughts are some of the institutions have been restored and some guilds and factions of the city have returned. The heroes led by Emelda Braskov have set up a small standing army and reinforcements have arrived from Azyr and Shyish.  The forces of Radukar are still too strong in the town and the risk for open war is too great on the existing civilian population, so with the help of the Kharadron Overlords they keep this army mobile and use it to prevent as many reinforcements arriving in Ulfenkarn for Radukar as possible.

I've got the idea in my head but I'm looking to build a thematic and cohesive force with lots of different models and factions. I'm happy to proxy as there is some great stuff about but would prefer GW models if I can.

Commanders 

Emelda Braskov leads armoured soldiers of Azyr and a new miltia. The armoured soldiers I don't really know what to use for converting but the militia I'm looking at Cawdor as a base for those. The black plague zombiecide figures look good for a miltitia but not sure how they scale up.

Jelsen Darrok would lead the witch hunters. I have seen some great proxys around but like what I've got with the Van Denst's and Hexbanes hunters. Could see these added to squads as the captains of the units.

I want to have most of the units based on handgunners, crossbowmen and other freeguild units but don't want to use those models. Will try and convert these using other items of sigmar units but won't have access to much dwarf, elf or ironweld people and technology. As it's shyish as well going to add their ancestors fighting alongside them as well! Mix some skeletons in their as well.  Get them all looking like the Ulfenwarch/Volkshafen

I also would like to add some cultists to take the place of flagellants. Going to use the unmade but they'll be sigmar worshipping instead!

Just need some help thinking of ways to make it happen. What sets and models to use to try and build a good base and a cohesive look. Very much just early thoughts in my head at the minute but would love to develop this army over the next year or so with other people ideas and help!

The Ulfenkarn soulbound book should be out soon so I'm going to wait to have a good look in that first as I'm sure that will give some amazing ideas and artwork to it as well.

On 9/28/2022 at 4:30 PM, CDM said:

I want to have most of the units based on handgunners, crossbowmen and other freeguild units but don't want to use those models. Will try and convert these using other items of sigmar units but won't have access to much dwarf, elf or ironweld people and technology. As it's shyish as well going to add their ancestors fighting alongside them as well! Mix some skeletons in their as well.  Get them all looking like the Ulfenwarch/Volkshafen

A few ideas off the top of my head.

I have personally mixed Freeguild and Death bits to some success:

20220930_103331.jpg.07b9553df497c75c63fcf1785e863bb3.jpg

This guy is made out of Rocket Battery and Hurricanum crew bits. The shield is from the old Skeleton Warrior kit. There are a few shields in that kit that are not super decayed or vampirey anf would fit a Shyishian Freeguild quite well:

20220930_104430.jpg.9185899713acaedf7a9a997a030bb274.jpg

20220930_104453.jpg.829c2d6c1a6c7a04462f3270758ee42f.jpg

If you want to build better looking Handgunners but stick to GW bits, I recommend the outrider/pistolier kit. It will leave you with a lot of leftover guns and heads even if you build the models normally. You can fit the outridet capes on normal infantry bodies for a pretty cool result:

922555402_20220930_1033082.jpg.290101a593b6b22b5d37e92377520e7f.jpg

20220930_104352.jpg.39c811023faf8774c511c73b209a71d8.jpg

20220930_104343.jpg.f147c9e52c9537d1804d9f1f1e11ff9d.jpg