Can units in a Skyvessel contest objectives?

Ferban

Question

I'm almost positive that I read somewhere that the units within a Skyvessel do not count toward the number of models on an objective.  But I've looked through the FAQs and can't find that info now.  Did I make this up or can I just not find that rule?  

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

I can't find somewhere that explicitly rules it out, but the core rules suggest quite strongly that garrisoned models do not contest objectives:

18.1.2 Contesting Objectives
A model must be within 6" of an objective in order to contest it.

17.2.1 Joining a Garrison
Units that garrison a terrain feature are removed from the battlefield and are assumed to be ‘inside’ the terrain feature.

The key part here is that models in a garrison are removed from the battlefield, which means that they would not be within 6" of the objective as they are not on the battlefield.

Defensible terrain features are also called out as being controlled only by the player that garrisons them rather than the traditional way. While this isn't direct evidence, you could infer support for my reading here, because if models in garrisons did count towards control, there would not be a need for a different way to control defensible terrain (as the models inside would almost certainly outnumber those outside).