Led by a Varghulf? They must be mad! Oh, wait......

nuttyknatty

6 hours ago, Robert Reid said:

Do you need 3 battle line units for this event?  I'm only seeing the 2 units of ghouls toward that requirement.  By the way, the Ghoul Patrol battalion is awesome, because you can replenish d6 ghouls in each hero phase without needing the ghast courtier with them.  Great for harassing war machines and board control.  

I've got 3 units of Ghouls for my Battleline.

I gave the list a practice run last night - played the Escalation Battleplan. 

I was in a real quandary as to what to deploy first with those 3 Ghoul units! Should I go with the CGC and put down the battalion in one drop, ensuring I can play for an early double turn? Or do I go with one of the AGK for a bit of magic? 

I decided to put the Ghoul Patrol down, but I failed to win a priority roll all game! Dark Elf shooting weakened my forces and I struggled to regain any of the objectives from my opponent!

So, after a hugely enjoyable weekend of tournament gaming, I'm able to report that my list was lacking........?

Rend, Mortal Wound output, and a big monster!

5 top games though, all immense fun, and (with some luck) I was always in with a chance of winning every game - although I sadly lost in four of them. But I've never been a gamer who plays with winning as the prime concern, so nothing to complain about.

But I do have some interesting reflections on my list. 

6 Horrors is not enough! Who'd have thought! Nope, 9 seems to be the most effective. A double turn will see off those Horrors off it transpires.

That said, 20 Ghouls did seem to be enough to get me plenty of objective points, although again, I'd preferred to have more.

In retrospect, I was probably a little too cavalier with how I used my Varghulf- choosing to throw him into combats when I should have held him back, again, my style of play is perhaps a little more suited to having something a bit more tanky to charge in.

So, I'm going to have a tinker - maybe look at the Abbatoir.

Shame to see the army didn't do as you'd hopped but glad you had a blast all the same!

Judging by your experience and your comments above, how do you think something like this would go instead...

Leaders
Crypt Haunter Courtier (120)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Cursed Book
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- Artefact: Cloak of Mists and Shadows
Varghulf Courtier (160)

Units
Crypt Horrors x 9 (420)
Crypt Horrors x 9 (420)
Crypt Horrors x 9 (420)

Behemoths

War Machines

Batallions
Abattoir (60)

Total: 2000/2000

Archived