Range of Ironweld Engineer to Ironweld war machines?

EntMan

Question

Both the Helblaster Volley Gun and Rocket Battery get buffs if they are within 3 inches of an Ironweld Engineer, and a Cogsmith can buff them if they are within 3 inches.

Does this 3 inches have to be measured to the war machine itself or does it count if one of the crew models is in range of the engineer but the war machine itself isn't?

Edit: Just re-read the scrolls and noticed it says the machine and the crew are considered as a single model. Not sure how I missed that before posting...

So I can use carefully positioned crew to extend access to engineer buffs to 5 inches.

I guess this also means line of sight and range can be taken from a crew model too?

Edited by EntMan

3 answers to this question

Mixed units like artillery with crews typically have a line in their description that states the war machine and crew are treated as a single model. Both of these units are no different:

The Volley Gun and its crew are treated as a single model, using the characteristics given above. The crew must remain within 1" of the Volley Gun.

The rocket battery has the same line, but replacing the name of the model.

What this means is that all ranges are measured from any point on any model in the unit (because for the purposes of the rules, there is only one model on the table), so yes you can measure the 3" to the crew and still get buffs. Rather than thinking of the unit as separate models, think of it as one model with an unusually shaped base that you can reform. This allows you a little bit more leeway when positioning your buff-providers, and amusingly (if you are easily amused like I am) you can always put a crew member in front and measure range from them, pretending they're just throwing the rockets very hard.

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Does the minimum range for the rocket battery have to be taken from the closest point of the model(s)? So having a crew out front would extend the "can't fire here" zone further from the launcher?

Yes. Treat the launcher and the crew as a single model.

1.5.1 Measuring Distances (pg 60 in the GHB) says "The distance between two models is measured between the closest points on the bases of the models." Since the rocket battery + crew are all treated as one model, you pick whichever point is closest on whichever base is closest.

• Thanks 1