Hurakan spirit of the wind usage

Tizianolol

Guys im curious how spirit of the wind works. Immagine im charging a melee unit with 1" weapon. I pile in back to 2.9 " from oppo unit and i attack mith my 3" weapon. He can pile 1" , so I will be 1.9" from and he cant attack me.

During his shootimg phase i can move my model. Can I move at 2.9" again or I have to move away more then 3"?:) thx sy for english!

On 10/27/2021 at 1:51 PM, Tizianolol said:

Guys im curious how spirit of the wind works. Immagine im charging a melee unit with 1" weapon. I pile in back to 2.9 " from oppo unit and i attack mith my 3" weapon. He can pile 1" , so I will be 1.9" from and he cant attack me.

During his shootimg phase i can move my model. Can I move at 2.9" again or I have to move away more then 3"?:) thx sy for english!

Hello there! I think I can answer this one :)

So, according to the Spirit of the Wind rule, you can make a normal move of 12", with the possibility of retreating. So the question arises, what is exactly a normal move? And what about retreating?

A normal move is the typical move that you do when you are outside of combat range. Rule 8.1 specifies that units cannot move within 3" of enemy units when making a normal move. As you can probably see from the restriction of the normal move, what you are describing in your example is not a normal move, but rather, the pile-in move that you can do in combat range. The pile-in move is not considered a normal move. The retreat move, on the other hand, is the one that you can do to leave a combat. Rule 8.2 specifies that units must move outside of 3" of enemy units when making a retreat move. So in your example, you need to retreat outside of 3" if you use the Spirit of the Wind rule.

What you could do and would be perfectly legal would be to not use the Spirit of the Wind rule, leaving your flying fox in combat, which allows to do its pile-in move to get to 2.9" distance when you activate it again. This is very good to force the enemy to activate a particular unit in combat before you get away again, and that leaves you opportunities for counter-attacking in another part of the board. With the 5+ the fox seems like an easy target, but with aetherquartz, all-out defence, and the 5+ ward save, it can be more durable than your opponent may think at first ;)

Hope I was helpful!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khaedhras said:

Hello there! I think I can answer this one :)

So, according to the Spirit of the Wind rule, you can make a normal move of 12", with the possibility of retreating. So the question arises, what is exactly a normal move? And what about retreating?

A normal move is the typical move that you do when you are outside of combat range. Rule 8.1 specifies that units cannot move within 3" of enemy units when making a normal move. As you can probably see from the restriction of the normal move, what you are describing in your example is not a normal move, but rather, the pile-in move that you can do in combat range. The pile-in move is not considered a normal move. The retreat move, on the other hand, is the one that you can do to leave a combat. Rule 8.2 specifies that units must move outside of 3" of enemy units when making a retreat move. So in your example, you need to retreat outside of 3" if you use the Spirit of the Wind rule.

What you could do and would be perfectly legal would be to not use the Spirit of the Wind rule, leaving your flying fox in combat, which allows to do its pile-in move to get to 2.9" distance when you activate it again. This is very good to force the enemy to activate a particular unit in combat before you get away again, and that leaves you opportunities for counter-attacking in another part of the board. With the 5+ the fox seems like an easy target, but with aetherquartz, all-out defence, and the 5+ ward save, it can be more durable than your opponent may think at first ;)

Hope I was helpful!

Thx , amazing!! Thx a lot !!! 😀, one thing again.. when I charge i can pile in back, but when its my oppo turn, I cant pile in back again! The rules from hurakan works only the turn you are charging.

In my exemple i can charge and pile back to 2.9 , my oppo pile 1" , he become 1.9" far from me so a melee qeapon of 1" cant reach. The problem in my exemple is in my opponent turn. 

You explain me retreat is not a normal move, so if my opponent activate that unit in combat with spirit of the wind he reach me, ifs 0.9" far now. You suggest me to stay in combat anyway? :)

Edited by Tizianolol

4 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Thx , amazing!! Thx a lot !!! 😀, one thing again.. when I charge i can pile in back, but when its my oppo turn, I cant pile in back again! The rules from hurakan works only the turn you are charging.

In my exemple i can charge and pile back to 2.9 , my oppo pile 1" , he become 1.9" far from me so a melee qeapon of 1" cant reach. The problem in my exemple is in my opponent turn. 

You explain me retreat is not a normal move, so if my opponent activate that unit in combat with spirit of the wind he reach me, ifs 0.9" far now. You suggest me to stay in combat anyway? :)

Hello again and you're welcome ;) 

I have double-checked the rule for Hurakan, the one called "Move Like the Wind" just in case, and I confirm that you can always do your pile-in in whatever direction you want, so you can go to 2.9" away in your opponent's turn. If you make a charge the rule is enhanced, it is considered that the model flies and can pile-in an extra 3" for a total of 6" in the direction you want.

In your example, you charge and pile to 2.9" then the opponent piles to 1.9" and cannot attack. Then in the opponent's turn he has to choose that unit to get to 0.9" and attack, and if he does not, you go to 2.9" and he has missed the opportunity to attack you, Even if he attacks, you do the +2 save and with the 5+ ward you have a very good chance of surviving :)

• Like 1