Moving and tracing path terrain

Blueraven84

Question

Lets say stormcast with 40mm base wants to trace path between 2mm gap between pieces of terrain. Can he go through in movement phase with normal move? Movement and terrain rules say nothing about base size when measuring the "tracing the path", but I have always played that like for example: model wants to go through doorway it needs to be at least as wide as the models base?

2 answers to this question

Terrain needs to be 6" apart so this would be a none issue.  

But, let's say there is a unit next to the terrain the gap is smaller than your base....  The terrain rules are sparse so this is hard to answer. 

I have been playing it that you would need to allocate your movement to move up/over the terrain piece.  Unless you fly of course :)

On 10/17/2021 at 7:13 PM, Blueraven84 said:

Lets say stormcast with 40mm base wants to trace path between 2mm gap between pieces of terrain. Can he go through in movement phase with normal move? Movement and terrain rules say nothing about base size when measuring the "tracing the path", but I have always played that like for example: model wants to go through doorway it needs to be at least as wide as the models base?

Good question.  The rules on terrain seem a bit sparse tbh.  I think that you can’t squeeze through gaps smaller than your base to move through/past terrain - you go up and over and that costs extra movement, but if going into a building to garrison it then doorways are irrelevant.

9.3.1 says when you move the base stays level with the table and has explanations of moving over things.  The diagram on page 10 for moving does seem to show a model moving past some terrain without doing this, but that terrain looks like scatter terrain which as per page 18 is just decorative.

In terms of garrisoning, 17.2.1  Just says,”In addition, a friendly unit can garrison a defensible terrain feature instead of making a normal move if all of the models in the unit are within 6" of the terrain feature and no enemy models are in the terrain feature’s garrison”.  So you don’t even need to be next to the door to enter the building.  That being said, you could always agree “house rules” that say different (sorry for the pun).

course, that’s just my reading and I could be wrong…