Move after leaving an Skyvessel

Beliman

Question

Explanation:

17.2.2 LEAVING A GARRISON
A friendly unit in a garrison can leave the garrison at the end of your movement phase. If it does so, set it up so that all models in the unit are within 6" of the terrain feature and more than 3" from all enemy units. A unit cannot join and leave a garrison in the same turn.

Contrary to Joining a Garrison (17.2.1), Leaving a Garrison (17.2.2) is not "instead of a movement" and it doesn't count as a move. Imho, that's because Leaving a Garrison is done in the end of the movement phase (FAQ for explanation):

Q: Some abilities allow a unit to be set up ‘at the end of the movement phase’. Can the unit make a move after it is set up in this way?
A: No. Things that happen at the end of the phase take place after all of that phase’s normal activities; in the case of the movement phase, this means they occur after all moves have been made.

The issue is that Kharadron Skyvessels have a modification in the timing when you can leave, overwritting the main rule:

Units cannot join or leave this model’s garrison if it has made a move or flown high in the same phase (they can join or leave before it does so).

My Question:

If leaving an Skyvessel is not a movement/ replace any movement, can I move after disembarking/leaving if I didn't join the Skyvessel in the same turn?

1 answer to this question

I think this rule is broken in its current state, and will have to wait for another errata before we can properly understand how to play it according to designer intent. The launch errata does not adequately cover the interaction between the Flying Transport rule and the new garrison rules.

There's no provision for whether a unit can move after leaving a garrison, because there's no provision for leaving a garrison before the end of the Movement phase. The use of parentheses in the Flying Transport rule suggests that phrasing is a clarifying statement (i.e. in the style of "You can still do other stuff as normal") rather than an explicit exception to the normal rules for leaving a garrison - if they were intended to overwrite those rules, they should also include clarification around whether the disembarking unit can move in the same phase.

On the other hand, I feel like restricting units from leaving ship garrisons until the end of the Movement phase (which is what I believe the rules as written currently suggest) is a large and unnecessary nerf to Kharadrons. I would be happy playing it that they could disembark before the transport moves, but could not move further in that phase, at least until Flying Transport receives a proper errata.

• Like 1