Rule precedence

Abstract_duck

Question

Is there any such thing as 'rule precedence' in Age of Sigmar? Many games I know have some kind of statement that, if multiple rules seem clashing, specific rules count over general rules. I was wondering is Age Of Sigmar has these kinds of rules.

I am asking because I've noticed the GHB, Warscrolls & allegiance abilities clashing. For instance when talking about sylvaneth & wyldwood placement rules: GHB has different rules from the wyldwood warscroll which has different rules from the unit warscrolls such as TLA and Alarielle who can place wyldwoods.

If there is such a rule, that would help a lot with the ambiguity. I could image something like Warscrolls (count over) > allegiance > GHB > Core Rules.

Apart from making sense, I'd say that the AoS rules would be very problematic because otherwise we'd have no clear reason why warscrolls which, for instance, state that a creature can Run & Still shoot, or Run & still charge, can actually still do that if the core rules state that you can't. and, of course, we reasonably assume that warscrolls can do that if they state so even if it conflicts with general rules. In that sense, I can imagine warscrolls, with for instance run & charge but also sylvaneth wyldwood placement, take precedence over the more general rules. What do you guys think?

2 answers to this question

There is an answer in Core Rules Designers Commentary:

Q: If a warscroll or set of allegiance abilities has a rule that
contradicts the core rules, can I use it? For example, Lord
Kroak has a rule that allows him to attempt to cast Celestial
Deliverance up to three times in the hero phase, but this
contradicts the core rule that you can only attempt to cast a spell
once per turn.

A: Warscrolls and allegiance abilities take precedence
over the core rules that appear before the core rules
for battleplans, warscrolls and allegiance abilities. This
allows you to do things that would not normally be
allowed. In the case of Lord Kroak, his rule means he
can attempt to cast Celestial Deliverance up to three
times in the same turn.

• Like 1

I believe the precedence order is specific beats general as you suggest, but could not cite a source offhand. In the case of Wyldwoods, I think it's more that the Wyldwood warscroll becomes the more general source stuff like Alarielle takes precedence over. In essence, if what you are doing references, indirectly or directly, another source of rules, it probably takes precedence over them.

If someone else has a specific source on hand, I'd appreciate it, but that is my understanding.