An unlikely alliance?

Matjb2512

So I'm making the jump to Order from a Skaven army. I'm brand new to AOS and wargaming as a whole and I'm enamoured by so many different models from various factions that I can't dedicate myself to a single faction just yet. Order has the most appealing factions to me, but my problem is that, to me, an army has to make thematic sense.
Now part of this problem is I don't really have any idea of where to start with understanding the lore behind the various AOS factions, the second problem is that some of the factions I really love don't have the most obvious gel.

As it stands I'm awaiting on about 600 points of sylvaneth to be delivered (Start Collecting + dryads). My plan for this force is to add a couple of Wanderer units, as well as an Amber and/or Jade battlemage.
The idea behind this is a general 'guardians of nature' theme, the battlemages having ventured into the forests seeking to gain knowledge on the mysterious ways of the ancient folk and becoming ensorcelled by the powerful draw of the place (Tolkien has always been a big influence for me).

I feel with a bit more digging into AOS lore I can sell this idea reasonably well... But I'm finding my eye drawn more and more towards Seraphon, Saurus don't float my boat at all but the various Skinks, monsters and Slann really vibe with me. I know very little about their background but have a vague understanding of them being 'reremembered' (or something to that effect) by the Slann after the end of the 'Lizardmen' during the End Times. 

I can sort of envisage a Slann's consciousness departing his physical body before his last breath is drawn and then in the ensuing chaos becoming entangled with the consciousness of the forest that has drawn so many other powerful beings to it's collective.... But as well as potentially decimating the rich lore GW has developed over many years (go easy on me I am but a newbie after all) but I feel I also might just be clutching at straws here.

Any thoughts would be great to hear!

Battlemages work (for me) in almost any army thematically. They are wanderers seeking knowledge and have a variety of flavours.

Seraphon wise - old Lizardmen would make a great Sylvaneth accompaniment in terms of 'nature'. They have that Native American vibe.

With Seraphon I'd maybe just use modelling to tell the story and build some lore around that. Customise your sylvaneth to be more jungle like! I think vines and ferns would do it.

Vines should be simple to model with green stuff. Ferns are more complex hm.

Jungly bases on each subfaction might be all you need.

Archived