Sudden Death Victories in Matched Play/Tournaments

Blish

Question

Are the Sudden Death Victory rules still active in Matched Play?

I haven't seen anything saying they aren't, but they would be redundant as a mechanism to balance games if using points and they could make for quite a beardy way to win.

You could take an army with battleline units with small number of models, and a couple big dragons. Should your opponent have a third more models, you could choose Assassinate or Blunt on the Sudden Death table and drop a couple dragons on the target. Too easy, right?

[Apologies if this has been asked before. I recieved an error message when I used the search function]

5 answers to this question

They aren't to be used. This was raised before. It may have been answered in a Facebook post. None of the scenario stuff in the 4 pages applies - treat the Battleplans as being self-contained. You don't get a major victory for tabling your opponent in particular - this would defeat the goal of making the game about the objectives.

In matched play pitched battles it says what the victory conditions are. You should only use the Sudden Death Victory conditions if it says on the battleplan Use the Age of Sigmar rules to determine the winner. But if you are just using the points and not playing the battle plans in matched play, play how you like :)

It was a specific FAQ for the Warlords tournament. While this doesn't mean you ignore it in normal matched play I can see it becoming the standard for the tournament scene anyway as sudden death is open to huge abuse and loop holes to auto win games without even playing a full turn.

Archived