Expanding my core

AnarchMage

Hey all! So I recently started playing. Have all of two games under my belt. I’m joining a local escalation league in hopes of getting some experience in. So far I’ve been futzing with my Legions of Nagash, but I want to try Lumineth in the league.

My question is one of list building and expansion. So far I have the promo box (wardens, Eltharion, and dawnriders), a set of sentinels and a cathallar. I also got the endless spells. I hope that is a good core, though if it’s junk, please let me know.

My question is where to expand. The league is planned to go 500, 750, 1000, and finally 1250. I’d like to have strong options without being that guy. And yes, I know a new release is around the corner, which I’m stoked for. I’d love to wait for it, but I’m not sure if the league will start before the models get released :/ 

3 hours ago, AnarchMage said:

Hey all! So I recently started playing. Have all of two games under my belt. I’m joining a local escalation league in hopes of getting some experience in. So far I’ve been futzing with my Legions of Nagash, but I want to try Lumineth in the league.

My question is one of list building and expansion. So far I have the promo box (wardens, Eltharion, and dawnriders), a set of sentinels and a cathallar. I also got the endless spells. I hope that is a good core, though if it’s junk, please let me know.

My question is where to expand. The league is planned to go 500, 750, 1000, and finally 1250. I’d like to have strong options without being that guy. And yes, I know a new release is around the corner, which I’m stoked for. I’d love to wait for it, but I’m not sure if the league will start before the models get released :/ 

This is a pretty strong core. Eltharion can be a real beast in smaller matches, might be even someone you have to watch out a bit that it doesn’t get frustrating for your opponent, depending on what they have. All the other units are a also good. 

You have 750 points, and if you want to add something right now, probably another box of Warden would be good. Right now, they are our only battleline choice if you don’t play the Ymetrica subfaction (which makes the Stoneguard BL). And they are generally good. I’d probably go up to 30 Warden and 20 Sentinels next. And then see what you like or need. 

It also depends what you like, if the Alarith units are appealing to you, you instead could start leaning into them. In that case you can buy  2 Stoneguard, a Stonemage and a Spirit of the Mountain. Which would bring you already over 1,250.

Right now though, besides a box of Warden if you really need more to start, I’d wait. The release of the new models should be announced within a month and they’ll double the size of the range. You might feel bad if you buy too much right now. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

This is a pretty strong core. Eltharion can be a real beast in smaller matches, might be even someone you have to watch out a bit that it doesn’t get frustrating for your opponent, depending on what they have. All the other units are a also good. 

You have 750 points, and if you want to add something right now, probably another box of Warden would be good. Right now, they are our only battleline choice if you don’t play the Ymetrica subfaction (which makes the Stoneguard BL). And they are generally good. I’d probably go up to 30 Warden and 20 Sentinels next. And then see what you like or need. 

It also depends what you like, if the Alarith units are appealing to you, you instead could start leaning into them. In that case you can buy  2 Stoneguard, a Stonemage and a Spirit of the Mountain. Which would bring you already over 1,250.

Right now though, besides a box of Warden if you really need more to start, I’d wait. The release of the new models should be announced within a month and they’ll double the size of the range. You might feel bad if you buy too much right now. 

Thanks for the advice. I really am loving the look of the new models, so I may indeed wait for them. Another set of wardens sounds like a safe bet, though