Wanderers and Sylvaneth for matched play at 1000 points.

SentinelGuy

Now that points have been reintroduced I am desperate to get some more games in at my local club. I haven't played for a while (since before the Slyvan battletome release) and I would like some feedback on the following army. Way back in Fantasy I played a lot of Wood Elves so I'm looking to rebase and make use of them if possible. I also love the Durthu model and even though in games of 1000 points he is almost half of them it's a sacrifice I feel I have to make. :)

Here is the list at 1000 points.

1 Spirit of Durthu - general with legendary fighter and phoenix stone

1 Shadowdancer

15 Wardancers

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

10 Eternal Guard

The Wardancers have a huge movement value when boosted by the Shadowdancer spell and with a reasonable sized unit they can act as a deterent, alpha strikers, warmachine/hero hunters or at a pinch they can munch through pretty much everything short of a Stonehorn.

They'll die in droves but that should buy me time to get the Spirit of Durthu up the field and into action. With legendary fighter he's potentially dealing 4 sword attacks with 6 damage each and then the root attack. Nothing should survive that if he lives that long and doesn't get hit badly beforehand. That's why I took the phoenix stone to at least heal him a little each turn.

My battleline troops are 2 Glade Guard units at minimum strength. They aren't great but they do have the 1 shot -3 rend and are needed for objectives. They're actually quite speedy when given a helping hand by the Shadowdancer, but I expect he will be casting arcane shield a fair bit to keep the Wardancers and Durthu alive as long as possible.

Finally I had just enough points left for Eternal Guard. They will camp an objective or act as chaff depending on the requirements at the time.

So there it is. The Spirit of Durthu is a lot of points and probably not a good investment at this lower points level, but it's so pretty and powerful and I wanted a nice centre piece. I'm open to all suggestions though and my collection is pretty much the entire old Wood Elf line except Wildwood Rangers and Sisters of the Thorn.

Another list I was considering is - 

1 Spirit of Durthu - general with legendary fighter and phoenix stone

1 Shadowdancer

15 Wardancers

10 Glade Guard

10 Dryads

2 Warhawk Riders

It gives me some synergy between Durthu and the Dryads plus some fast flying warmachine hunters which may save Durthu, but it's less bodies for objectives.

Help a guy out :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to jump on this older post with a new question. I hope it's okay since you are discussing Wanderers. I will have my first testgame with my Wanderers next week and so i'm curious about this topic. I'm wondering if anyone did the combo where the Nomad Prince gives the 'reroll 1's' buff to a glade guard unit with 20 models when they are firing their Arcane Bodkins? A volley of 20 shots, 3+ to hit, reroll 1's and 4+ to wound with rend -3. In my mind that's gonna do quite a lot of damage but maybe my math is off. Has anyone pulled this of yet? Cheers

P.s. @Forestreveries cool combo with the shadowdancer spell and the wild riders! I think the wild riders are not the powerunit they were in 8th edition, but haven't played with them yet. Do you still find they kill al lot of stuff like they used to...

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Has anyone pulled this of yet? Cheers

P.s. @Forestreveries cool combo with the shadowdancer spell and the wild riders! I think the wild riders are not the powerunit they were in 8th edition, but haven't played with them yet. Do you still find they kill al lot of stuff like they used to...

Yeah the Arcane Bodkins are great. 

With the Waystone Pathfinders Battalion you can get 2 rounds of shooting per turn (you can't use your Bodkins to shoot in the extra round as its not in the shooting phase) but it is another combo which makes glade guard and nomad prince work really well together. 

That said, I don't think that formation will fit in a 1000pt game if that's what you're playing.

I haven't played any games with Wanderers since Sylvaneth came out tbh, but no, I don't think wild riders are all that now that I've seen a lot more of the units in the game and their potential. 

Now that the GH has landed I feel like the Shadow Dancer will be more useful for capturing objectives that your opponent didn't see you getting to, which can be game winning in those battkeplans where you can claim a major victory by controlling all objectives.

Aaron

I have got beat twice recently by a Wanderers army.

You are missing waywatchers, those guys are great,  and the wild riders are really good as well.

Through a loremaster into the mix to re-roll misses and the shooting phase becomes feared.

1 minute ago, chord said:

I have got beat twice recently by a Wanderers army.

You are missing waywatchers, those guys are great,  and the wild riders are really good as well.

Through a loremaster into the mix to re-roll misses and the shooting phase becomes feared.

Loremaster's spell only works on a single model I believe , but it is effective for sure.

Use it on a Wayfinder and pop his Hail of Doom arrow, that'll do some damage!

Aaron

Pretty usefull tips here, thanks! I've not messed around with GH-points yet. Since i'm collecting and painting stormcast,  and allready own a painted wanderers army my goal is to create a good playable list for matched play with wanders/stormcast combination. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Forestreveries said:

Loremaster's spell only works on a single model I believe , but it is effective for sure.

Use it on a Wayfinder and pop his Hail of Doom arrow, that'll do some damage!

Aaron

Yup good point,  yeah the waywatcher with that is scary..  using it on different waywatchers each turn...scarier..

The guy I play against usually brings 3 waywatchers.....:(

Archived