Armybuilding with Woundgroups (Open War Army Generator)

EMMachine

I haven't found a thread for that topic yet, and after it is returning in GWs Rules from time to time I would ask your optinion to it.

Back in the first edition, when there were still no points, the community created a point system that was based on the number of wounds.
GW has brought back a similar system with the Generals Handbook 2019/2020 for Open and Narrative Play (under the name Open War Army Generator) and has also introduced similar concepts to Broken Realms Morati or the Solo rules against the Troggoths.

The concept is as follows. Each unit is assigned a specific unit type (most according to the number of wounds).

The types are as follows:

• Horde = 1 Wound, Save 6+ or less (1 Point in the Armygenerator)
  • Regular = 1 Wound Save 5+ or higher (1 Point in the Armygenerator)
  • Elite = 2-3 Wounds (1 Point in the Armygenerator)
  • Guard = 4-5 Wounds (1 Point in the Armygenerator)
  • Linebreaker = 6-9 Wounds (1 Point in the Armygenerator)
  • Gargantian = 10+ Wounds not a hero (2 Point in the Armygenerator)
  • Champion = Hero that is not a monster (1 Point in the Armygenerator)
  • Conquerer = any Hero (3 Point in the Armygenerator)

The army generator worked with army points and randomly diced which types were used (some have a single unit while others have a combination for an Amount of Armypoints).

In missions of Broken Realms Morati it was specified how many units were used and there were only Regular, Elite, Garde and Champion among the available units, whereby there was always the possibility to double the size of the units, thereby increasing the number of units of the given units counts as 2 units (i.e. for Horde, Regular, Elite, Guard and, in the case of the army generator, also line breakers).

The same system was also used in the solo play rules against the Troggoths.

Similar to the matched play system, the system also has its outliers, but I think it would still be interesting to discuss the system and its outliers.

My idea would be to assign each unit of the factions to the appropriate types and to find the outliers up or down.

• For example Stormcast Eternals Guard units (the Cavalry) is often quite Highpriced in points (nearly double in matched Play points compared with other units of their faction as well as Vanguard Raptors.
  • Freeguild Handgunners and Crossbowmen being Horde because of their 6+ Save
  • Or that Savage Orruks only get halve the models they would normally have, because they have 2 Wounds
  • Or that Blightkings have less models because they are in a highter Woundgroup

I have the feeling if the army don't get maxed out, this could be interesting for campaigns (maybe a path to Glory like game).

Did someone make experiance with the rules?