Want to start Beastmen, shhhh, don't tell anyone

Veterannoob

I want a non-Order army (I have Fyreslayers, Duardin and Seraphon) and Beastmen have been in that coveted spot for a few years. And now, in AoS, they're great! Sure, something might come out before I get around to starting or Beastmen get a faction release but in the meantime I plan. I'm going more on models I like than performance, so Doombull, Minotaurs and the two giant monsters. It's always a joy to see Brayherds on the table and now in AoS I actually do! :)

So for those of you who are or were in the same position as I, what do you think? I'd like to buy and build these models I think, unless I got a stooooopid good deal. They are great kits. What advice do you have about starting out with a small force of Beasties and building from there? thanks!

20 hours ago, Veterannoob said:

I want a non-Order army (I have Fyreslayers, Duardin and Seraphon) and Beastmen have been in that coveted spot for a few years. And now, in AoS, they're great! Sure, something might come out before I get around to starting or Beastmen get a faction release but in the meantime I plan. I'm going more on models I like than performance, so Doombull, Minotaurs and the two giant monsters. It's always a joy to see Brayherds on the table and now in AoS I actually do! :)

So for those of you who are or were in the same position as I, what do you think? I'd like to buy and build these models I think, unless I got a stooooopid good deal. They are great kits. What advice do you have about starting out with a small force of Beasties and building from there? thanks!

As you mentioned, you have the 2 main factions of Beastmen, Warherds and Brayherds.

If you are to start Warherds, you can run the 'Bullgor stampede' formation, giving impact hits on the charge and lots of extra attacks. 3 units of bullgors, a ghorgon and a doombull will unlock this for you, and it conveniently is bang on 1000 points. Simple to play, (you just steamroll!), low model count, and as you stated, nice kits. I think it would make a great side project if there is another army you want to concentrate on.

Brayherds is more my cup of tea, but it requires an awful lot more planning and investment before you start to get really effective units. Multiple 30 and 20 man units are pretty much essential, the more goats you have the more effective they are, as it's somewhat of a horde army. Tactics are what really make the Brayherds interesting for me, huge movement values, run and shoot with run and charge, character placement that can turn gor units into unstoppable deathstars, there really is alot of variety you can bring to your game. Sometimes you can just go and smash someone to bits on turn one, but some of the tougher armies this just won't work against, which is where you get to use your strength of numbers and mobility to claim your victory. 

Beastmen have the coolest monsters in the game. Jabberslyths, Ghorgons and Cygors being your centerpeices, with Razorgors, Harpies and Centigors all in support, all make for really cool additions to any Beastman army. They work very well with both types of herd, and are very effective at their job roles. 

In summary if you want to start out, I'd say warherds if you're into just smashing things up, brayherds if you like the idea of controlling a chaotic mass of fur, and then pretty much whatever monster you thing is cool. You're bound to have a great time with all options, and though they still don't feature on many tables, they're surprisingly effective now. Still not quite top tier, but nothing compared to how utterly useless they were in 8th.

Archived