Quick question about salamanders and points costs

attican

Hello i am new to the hobby so please bear with me.

On the AoS mobile app im making a seraphon list that includes salamanders, they are listed here for 50 points which im assuming means 50 points for just the salamander and not the skinks with the goads but in the battletome they are 80? Also dont see a way to add the 3 skinks to the list on the app so i can see the proper point value in the app.

Also in the battletome lists 160 points for the firelance templehost but in the app its 0. Does it actually cost 160 points additional to the units in the battalion just for the ability to add 3" to the charge?

Thanks in advance for the help friends

The salamander is 80 points, this includes 1 salamander and 3 x skinks.

And, yes the Freelance Templehost battalion is 160 points. The battalion cost is always paid on top of the model cost. I don't have the Seraphon battle tome so just checked the point costs on Warscroll builder. I've not used the AoS mobile app for list making, but I've heard that it is not always correct and/or updated quickly. Warscroll builder tho seems to be pretty reliable.

1 minute ago, GrimDork said:

The salamander is 80 points, this includes 1 salamander and 3 x skinks.

And, yes the Freelance Templehost battalion is 160 points. The battalion cost is always paid on top of the model cost. I don't have the Seraphon battle tome so just checked the point costs on Warscroll builder. I've not used the AoS mobile app for list making, but I've heard that it is not always correct and/or updated quickly. Warscroll builder tho seems to be pretty reliable.

Thank you! I was gonna try and squeeze in a few extra salamanders but I guess I wont. Or can i still take those models and elect not to take the 160 point battalion ability?

1 hour ago, attican said:

Thank you! I was gonna try and squeeze in a few extra salamanders but I guess I wont. Or can i still take those models and elect not to take the 160 point battalion ability?

You can totally take all the models and not pay the extra for the battalion. Obviously you won't get the battalion ability, but depending on the ability it may or not be worth it. I'm not too familiar with Seraphon battalions/list building. I'm sure someone with more exp can weigh in on the Seraphon specifics.

Generally speaking the pros of taking a battalion is;

• the battalion ability itself,
  • the battalion can be set up all together, thus reducing your number of drops. Whoever finishes setting up units first gets the choice to go first or second. There can be tactical advantage to having fewer drops in your army list,
  • you get an extra artefact for each battalion you take,
  • you get an extra command point at the start of the battle for each battalion you take.

Despite these benefits, some battalions are just not worth taking. Either the battalion cost is too high, or the cost of the units needed to make up the battalion is too high. Like I say, not sure on the specifics of Seraphon, you can always try some lists out and see how they work for you.

Hope this helps

• 8 months later...

Errata now says they cost 110 points and you can have 4/12 max for 440 pts. 

Also does anyone know what the wound count for this unit is, I may not be understanding it correctly. The Salamander Hunting profile says it has 1 wound. It says the wound characteristic of the Salamander is 3. So, if you had one unit, would the wound count be 6 total (3 for the Salamander and 3 for the three handlers at 1 each as the main profile says). Or is the count just 3 wounds, which belong to the Salamander and once that's gone the 3 handlers are automatically removed?

• 2 months later...