Can someone help me with Vanguard list?

Zartan666

I've been collecting Warhammer for a long time but I haven't played a game in over 10 years.  I still buy the books and build and paint models when I get the  chance. But I have some friends who are interested in trying the game so we are going to give it a go this weekend.

I'm working on a 2000 point stormcast list using the models I have and I would like some help. 

I'm not looking at making a super competitive list or anything,  just a fun game with some friends who are interested in playing. But I also dont want to be outright destroyed either.

So this is the list I'm working with:

General:

Lord Aquilor

Leaders:

Knight Incantor

Knight Zephyros

Battleline:

Vanguard Hunters x10 (swords)

Vanguard Hunters x10 (axes)

Other:

Aetherwings x6

Gryphhounds x6

Palldors x3 (javelins)

Palldors x3 (axes)

Long strike Raptors x3

Long strike Raptors x3

That puts me right at 1800 points. Any suggestions with what to do with my last 200? I was thinking of a Knight Heraldor and an Everblaze Comet. But I'm not sure if they would benefit the rest of the army? Any recommendations on endless spells?

I also thought of taking a Lord Veritant to get the bonus for the gryphhounds. Or maybe dropping them altogether to free up more points.  And should I leave the Hunters in units of 10, or should I split them up?

I know it's a lot of questions but any help would be appreciated!

For an introduction game i think 2000 is a bit much, there can easily be an overload on all the rules.  i'd rather opt for 1000-1250 until you're comfortable with the core rules and those of your army.

Now to the list: For 2000 points matched play (which is the usual mo for pickup games as far as i'm aware) you need 3 battleline units, that'd be your vanguard hunters. If you insist on a unit of 10, just go 1×10 and 2×5. I could imagine that placing a unit of 10 via astral compass, they might be hard to place, keep that in mind.

With the remaining points you should get a hammer unit. You have a lot of mobility and some firepower, what your list lacks is something with a bit of oomph up close. Depending on what models you have, Paladins, Dracoths or Evocators are viable. Careful with the latter in a friendly game though, they are actually a strong unit and tend to be perceived as brokenly powerful by the unexpecting...

Finally, though it pains me to say this: Gryphhounds suck. Big time. Run them for the love of the models (because: who's a good boy? ^^), but don't expect them to do things other than run around and take the occasional objective. If they get to fight and then retreat that's cool but usually this endangers better units in other places...

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input! I wanted to go no higher than 1500 points, but my friends wanted to "bring all the toys". So we settled on 2000. I was considering dropping a unit of Paldors for some Evocators so I will probably go that route. And yeah the hounds. I love them but if they were costed like Raptoryx's they would be an auto include. As they are, they are just too high for what they do. 

I've been painting like 6 months now, only just recently managed to get 2500pts painted.

You might want to get 1.5k points and proxy a couple of stuff first, so that you don't end up having a lot of plastic excess that stay gray and unpainted. 

Edited by Evantas