Aetherwings Swooping hunter rule?

Andrethegreat

11 minutes ago, Andrethegreat said:

In the stromcast battletome  book it says on page 185 that Aetherwings can retreat and still charge later, in the same turn, is this the same rule that the gryph-hounds have, the darting attacks? If not, can someone tell how the Aetherwings swooping hunter works.    

They work quite differently.

Gryph-hounds have the special ability to retreat during the combat phase, after they've attacked. Ideally, this could be before the thing they're in combat with activates, so they don't get hurt at all.

Aetherwings, on the other hand, can only retreat the same as any regular unit: in the movement phase, if they're within 3" of an enemy unit. However, what their ability lets them do is then charge later that turn, where most units can't charge (or shoot) in a turn where they retreated.

So gryph-hounds: special get-out-of-combat. Aetherwings: special get-back-into-combat.

It's worth noting that Watchful Guardians can also be used to get Aetherwings into combat without charging, where there's Raptors nearby and the distance rolled is enough.

44 minutes ago, rogue_michael said:

They work quite differently.

Gryph-hounds have the special ability to retreat during the combat phase, after they've attacked. Ideally, this could be before the thing they're in combat with activates, so they don't get hurt at all.

Aetherwings, on the other hand, can only retreat the same as any regular unit: in the movement phase, if they're within 3" of an enemy unit. However, what their ability lets them do is then charge later that turn, where most units can't charge (or shoot) in a turn where they retreated.

So gryph-hounds: special get-out-of-combat. Aetherwings: special get-back-into-combat.

It's worth noting that Watchful Guardians can also be used to get Aetherwings into combat without charging, where there's Raptors nearby and the distance rolled is enough.

Ok, Thanks. I thought. I was doing something wrong with my Aetherwings, because I could never retreat with them, they always die when enemy units come in contact with them. I guess that is just the way of the Aetherwings