Knight-Incantor's Spirit Flask

seemeatthezoo

Question

New Warhammer in general here and decided to try my hand with AoS. Picked up the Tempest Of Souls boxset and trying to get my head around the wording on the Spirit Flasks. Hoping that someone can help me out:

1. Does "Once per battle..." mean that in only one of your combat phases, you have the chance of shattering between 1-3 flasks, or can you as an example, shatter 1 flask in three different combat phases?

2. If a unit is within 3" of the Knight-Incantor, does a flask do 1 mortal wound to each model in the unit, or is it 1 mortal wound total for the entire unit? If it is a total, who allocates the wounds to the models?

3. If there is 10 or more models in a unit and need to roll a D3, is the result of the die to each model in a unit, or a total to the unit? If it is a total, who allocates the wounds to the models?

4. I understand that the Knight-Incantor is also wounded during the shattering of the flasks, what is the reasoning behind allocating the wounds to her last?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

1. Its once per battle for the ability.  So if you decide to only use one flask, you can't use the others later.

2. It does one mortal wound to the whole unit, which is allocated by the player who owns that unit.

3. Same as 2, it's  1d3 for the whole unit.

4. Wounds are allocated to her last because (if she were chosen first) if she were slain by that ability, an argument could be made that no one else takes wounds as nothing is within 3", as she's not on the board. Mostly it's there for clarity.

Edited by Realmhead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just to clarify for 3 if it helps you to calculate: You can do a max 9 wounds to a unit with over 10 models (3 x 3)  and a max of 3 wounds to a unit with less.  Its each unit though, not in total. So if you were within reach of two 10+ units and a hero and dropped three flasks you could do potentially 21 wounds.

Basically it's good to drop them round characters and big units. So long as you're playing SC the unit size of most units means you'll rarely have to worry about the 10+ factor hurting you. If the unit is smaller than 10 then three wounds to your own dudes is likely to be just as harmful as hurting the enemy if not more so.

Teaming an Incantor up with a flying ability is an excellent kamikaze option against horde armies or those that like to have a little cluster of heroes who hang out together. Fly her in, mic drop, peace out.

• Thanks 1