Doppelganger cloak and "celestial lightning arc" (evocators)

Gorgo

Question

Hi guys!

I have this situation in mind to beat an enemy hero bearing a doppelganger cloak with evocators, and I dont know if it would be legal:

I charge with a unit of evocators to the mentioned hero, he activates the doppelganger, could I activate the evocators, don't do any attack because I'm not allowed to target the hero with melee weapons, and then use de lightning arcs to make mortal wounds to the enemy hero?, because those MW aren't melee weapons attack.

My doubt is because you do the lightning arc ability after all the attacks have been resolved, so are the attacks resolved even if I didn't did any attack?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

You won't find clear answer to it, however in my opinion the trigger of the ability is "after this unit has been picked to fight" and "after all of its attacks have been resolved" is a timing clarification when you use this ability. So I'd say that you can zap the doppelganger wearing hero.

If you don't come to an agreement with your opponent than you can do this: position your evocators in a way you can resolve attacks against some other unit and be within 3" of that hero after charge or piling in so you can use lightning arc freely no matter what.

Here is a wording for reference for all other folks who might participate in discussion, with 2nd sentence changed to how it's written in latest FAQ:

Celestial Lightning Arc:
Evocators summon bands of celestial lightning that arc around their weapons.

You can re-roll save rolls of 1 for attacks made with missile weapons that target this unit. In addition, after this unit has been picked to fight for the first time in a phase, after all of its attacks have been resolved, you can pick 1 enemy unit within 3" of this unit. If you do so, roll 2 dice for each model in this unit. For each 4+ that enemy unit suffers 1 mortal wound.

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2019 at 2:28 AM, Gorgo said:

Hi guys!

I have this situation in mind to beat an enemy hero bearing a doppelganger cloak with evocators, and I dont know if it would be legal:

I charge with a unit of evocators to the mentioned hero, he activates the doppelganger, could I activate the evocators, don't do any attack because I'm not allowed to target the hero with melee weapons, and then use de lightning arcs to make mortal wounds to the enemy hero?, because those MW aren't melee weapons attack.

My doubt is because you do the lightning arc ability after all the attacks have been resolved, so are the attacks resolved even if I didn't did any attack?

Thanks

If it is you active turn and the enemy pops the cloak you have to pick a unit first to fight. Since the Evo are legal to fight you can pick them. Put you cannot attack with you melee weapons (like the enemy would be out of range). After you have attacked with all weapons (in this case none) you can use the Lightning Arc on the hero, because you pick him with an ability.

Short answere: Yes, you attack him (legal to fight - enemy within 3") with all you've got (nothing, because of no targets in range) and then zap him (ability not attack).

• Thanks 1