Some Sylvaneth Qs and Hurricanum cost?

BoardGames

Question

I was wondering if you could answer a question regarding the points cost of Celestial Hurricanum - it has an option to take it with a Celestial mage, but I couldn't find info if this adds to the pitched battle points cost of the Hurricanum? Does it add a battlemage cost (100 pts)?

Also if I take a Gnarlroot wargrove for Sylvaneth and add some order Wizard (like Sorceress on Black Dragon or some other leader/hero), could the wizard:
- be used as a general under Sylvaneth allegiance (I doubt that, still)
- pick skill of the said allegiance (doubt that too)
- use Deeplore spells (the way artifacts and wizard items are worded it seems he won't be able to use these).

5 answers to this question

It's just 320, gains leader if it has a battle mage innit.

GHB FAQ confirms that units in a battalion 'gain' the allegiance of the battalion, so Gnarlroot with an order wizard is still compliant with Sylvaneth allegiance. However, artefacts and spells are based on keywords, so the Hurricanum couldn't use them (although in the case of the wordings for spells, it does contradict itself in places).

Interestingly, command traits simply specify the "General of a Sylvaneth army", rather than requiring the Sylvaneth keyword.

Rules say your general can be any model on the battlefield. Hmmm...

P.s. Sod the Hurricanum. *Cough* Sisters of the thorn *cough*

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Regarding the Hurricanum - I was confused as for me the obvious explanation of adding battle mage is to also add the battle mage cost. Obviously I missed the fact it gains Leader too, which is something to consider (as it adds to the number of leaders), but at 320 pts, it's a no brainer to pick it up with a mage if it won't cost more and fits the allowed number of wizards.

As for the command traits - exactly my point. Still, the Deepwood description is a bit confusing:

- it says each wizard in a Sylvaneth army knows additional spell from the Deepwood lore list. Since any order wizard in Gnarlroot is part of a Sylvaneth army, shouldn't the order wizard also pick a spell?

- artefacts description says "Sylvaneth Hero";

- arcane treasures description says "Sylvaneth Wizard".

My conclusion is that my order wizard can get a Deepwood spell, but cannot use the artifacts or treasures reserved for Sylvaneth.

The wizard will also gain Verdurous Harmony spell from Gnarlroot Wargrove - it says "Each Gnarlroot Wizard".

The Deep wood Lore bit keeps separate the mention of Sylvaneth (as in army) and Wizard (as in model), right up to the very last sentence when it says "Sylvaneth Wizard" (which on previous means both keywords present on warscroll).

GW have been shaky on the use of keywords but the usage of Sylvaneth in emphasised type makes me think they are talking keywords, which the Hurricanum doesn't have.

But the Gnarlroot is exactly as you say.

As an extra on this, GHB FAQ says units granted allegiance by a battalion do not benefit from allegiance abilities - as access to the deepwood lore is an allegiance bonus, I'd say that the Hurricanum mage can't take it.

It definitely means the Hurricanum can't be the general with a Sylvaneth command ability.

Archived