Gotrek + Mercenary Company

Luke1705

Question

Can you include Gotrek and a Mercenary company in the same army?

Two potential issues I see - gotrek says you can’t have any other allies, but are mercenary companies actually allies? It sort of seems like they might not be. They do of course use allies points but I don’t think they *are* allies.

Second issue - gotrek is allowed to exceed the allies points limit so IF Mercs are not allies, then it would seem like he could be included in an army that has Mercs because even though his inclusion takes the army over the allies/merc limit, his rule allows that.

HOWEVER, one could argue that if gotrek is included then no points are available to spend on Mercs. Who joins the army first? Or does it not matter and you can have both gotrek and Mercs? Or does it not matter and you can’t have Mercs and gotrek?

Relevant rules pages attached. Would love some rules support one way or the other but I don’t see any FAQ about this

F3C98ECB-9C1F-4CEC-A736-52542A202C99.png

3360B61B-13E1-4CAC-ADE5-C7EE36520FF7.jpeg

1 answer to this question

I reckon it might be altered later but... in my mind it's not possible. It's absolutely true that mercenaries aren't allies. See the second paragraph of the page you posted. But they do use the points taken from the allies allowance. 

The inclusion of Gotrek in you army means there isn't any points left. For me the key for that conclusion is the final sentence of Gotrek's rules. '... even if HIS points cost exceeds the amount allowed for allied units.' That phrasing means that if you take Gotrek. Gotrek benefits from this rules as it specifies him, but he will take all those points leaving no points in the allies allowance. Which in turn means you can't fulfil the Pitched Battle paragraph in the page you posted.