I need airbrush help!

hobgoblinclub

I was given an airbrush by a friend who no longer needed it. An Olympos Hp 100B to be precise. It's great but I've snapped the nozzle cleaning it. I've managed to get the broken thread out with my hobby knife.

Question is, what do I get as a replacement ? From reading online, I'm pretty sure it's 0.2mm. Do I need to get an official one? These seem to cost upwards of forty pounds. Are there generic options that fit and work? Has anyone tried the cheap options from eBay? Some of them are under a fiver! Help please!

Thanks in advance!

Nightmare - I had similar earlier this year when the nozzle in my Iwata started to sheer through.  Personally I've yet to find a third-party manufacturer that produces a good enough quality replacement.  I've used needles in the past and found them to be inferior, wearing out significantly more quickly than a genuine part.  Nozzles are probably the most expensive piece to replace as they're precision made, think my last one cost £35.

From what I can fathom out, that model & brand are 0.2mm.  Not sure how much you've used an airbrush but 0.2 is quite small for the acrylics we use in the hobby, and tends to "bung up" a bit more quickly than say a 0.35.  It's not a problem (you don't need to change the airbrush), but will mean you'll need to clean the build up off the tip a bit more frequently than an airbrush with a wider tip.

If you enjoy watching Twitch streams, have a look at "next_level_painting" too - it's an education to see how Kenny handles his airbrush, mixes paint in the cup etc.  A bit like brush painting though - there is no "right" way of using an airbrush - each person will do things differently.

Cheers for the help! I'll check out the videos.

I took a punt and bought a third party nozzle and needle for a fiver. Works! Not as good, there was some spotting until i played around with the pressure and added more thinner, but it's good enough to prime which is all I need it for at the moment. Pretty pleased.

The brush does indeed come with 0.2mm. Do you know if it's possible to buy a different sized needle and nozzle or are they not compatible? Would I need a different brush if I wanted to change sizes? Thanks.

Ace, glad the 3rd party one is OK :)  Sometimes it's worth taking a punt

On 12/08/2016 at 5:50 PM, hobgoblinclub said:

The brush does indeed come with 0.2mm. Do you know if it's possible to buy a different sized needle and nozzle or are they not compatible? Would I need a different brush if I wanted to change sizes? Thanks.

If you can pick up a nozzle and needle specifically for your model airbrush you'll be fine, however you'll struggle if you picked one up for another manufacturer (e.g. Badger, Iwata) because the needle size may well be fractionally different even though the nozzle thread may be OK.  Quite a few people run a cheap airbrush (£20 mark) for base colours with a larger size (but no more than 0.5mm) and then flick over to their more premium brush for the detail.

Archived