2k Sylvaneth - Gnarlroot

AsraiR

Hi all,

We've got a new shop opening in town in a couple of weeks time and I've got a game planned with one of the store owners.

Not sure on points yet but I imagine we'll be hitting 2k and he's playing Flesh Eater Courts.

Been toying with going Gnarlroot with the following list, any thoughts?

Spirit of Durthu

Treelord Ancient

Branchwych

Branchwraith

10 Dryads

10 Dryads

10 Dryads

5 Tree-Revenants

5 Sisters of the Thorn

Treelord

Household

Gnarlroot Wargrove

Forest Folk

I've only played a few games with the new Sylvaneth yet, so I'm sure there's people here with more sound advice then mine, but in my experience units of 10 dryads just melt away. And in some of the scenarios you really need them to hold on to objectives. 

Hey there.

Regarding the other guys' comments on Dryads, I've found the best way to improve their survivability is to leave them in the Hidden Enclaves until you absolutely need them to start scoring. It is after all, hard for the enemy to kill models they have no way of attacking. 

This option will only serve you so well though, as some matched play missions score all the way through the game and your enemy will be vying for the same objective points.

Not sure how tight your points are, but perhaps dropping the Forest Folk battalion and 10 Dryads or combining the Dryad units would open more options for you, especially as you already have the Revenants for Battleline. Could maybe push the Teeelord up to a second Ancient?

Unless you were depending on the extra battalion for a fourth artefact? 

Hearing which artefacts and spells you have planned would be helpful too.

I would advise adding a unit or two of Kurnoth Hunters. They pack some serious punch and are also super survivable. 

If if you could switch Durthu or the Treelord for some Hunters I think this list would be much stronger, though you should try it out to see what suits you best. 

One thing you deserve some kudos for though is the addition of Sisters of the Thorn. 

Ive been converting some up myself with claw hands to echo Alarielle's but didn't want to mention them in here until if used them, was hoping to keep it my little secret but others are starting to bring them into lists now it seems!

Their shield of thorns spell is going to be amazing in Sylvaneth, our units are super resilient anyway, enhancing that and adding some mortal wound damage is going to be hard for some things to deal with. 

I cant wait to get mine on the table. 

Good luck!

Aaron

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of fielding the folowing army:

General: Treelord Ancient   Trait: Gift of Ghyran   Artifact: Silverwood Circlet

Branchwych   Artifact: Seed of Rebirth

The Deepwood Lore spells you choose depend on the type of army you're facing

Spirit of Durthu     Artifact: Briarsheath

5 Tree-Revenants

10 Dryads / 5 Tree-Revenants

10 Dryads

6 Kurnoth Hunters with greatswords

3 Kurnoth Hunters with bows

Gnarlroot Wargrove

Household

Free Spirits

2000 points with two units of Dryads

1980 points with to units of Tree-Revenants

The general stays away from the strongest enemy units and keeps buffing the rest of the army's saves. Gift of Ghyran is a nice adition making him last longer. The Circlet boosts his magic making even tougher spells quite achievable.

The Branchwych doesn't rush into combat too often. Seed of Rebirth makes it a bit less squishy

Durthu is a berserking tank set loose on any models giving you weird looks. The Briarsheath makes him harder to hit and works against both shooting- and melee attacks.

The Tree-Revenants can use their teleporting ability to snipe squishy wizards in the enemy's rear lines. Then regroup. Because the unit is only 5 men strong returning D3 slain models is quite significant.

The dryads are there to function as speedbumps keeping certain enemy units busy (put a wyldwood in the way). Also keep in range of the Hunters for the command ability.

The Hunters with swords are the actual vanguard. Because it's six of them, there isn't much that can stand up to them and there's even the chance of a slain model to be returned each turn.

The other six hunters can be used on the second line even though it's not like they need defending. They pick of threats one by one.

I'm thinking of fielding the folowing army:

General: Treelord Ancient   Trait: Gift of Ghyran   Artifact: Silverwood Circlet
Branchwych   Artifact: Seed of Rebirth
The Deepwood Lore spells you choose depend on the type of army you're facing
Spirit of Durthu     Artifact: Briarsheath

5 Tree-Revenants
10 Dryads / 5 Tree-Revenants
10 Dryads
6 Kurnoth Hunters with greatswords

Gnarlroot Wargrove
Household
Free Spirits

2000 points with two units of Dryads
1980 points with to units of Tree-Revenants

The general stays away from the strongest enemy units and keeps buffing the rest of the army's saves. Gift of Ghyran is a nice adition making him last longer. The Circlet boosts his magic making even tougher spells quite achievable.
The Branchwych doesn't rush into combat too often. Seed of Rebirth makes it a bit less squishy
Durthu is a berserking tank set loose on any models giving you weird looks. The Briarsheath makes him harder to hit and works against both shooting- and melee attacks.
The Tree-Revenants can use their teleporting ability to snipe squishy wizards in the enemy's rear lines. Then regroup. Because the unit is only 5 men strong returning D3 slain models is quite significant.
The dryads are there to function as speedbumps keeping certain enemy units busy (put a wyldwood in the way). Also keep in range of the Hunters for the command ability.

The Hunters with swords are the actual vanguard. Because it's six of them, there isn't much that can stand up to them and there's even the chance of a slain model to be returned each turn.
The other six hunters can be used on the second line even though it's not like they need defending. They pick of threats one by one.

This list looks decent enough

I like the combo of Gnarlroot and Free Spirits Battalions, giving all your Kurnoth Hunters and Durthu and extra move every turn is really scary.

I don't think I would bother with casting Verdurous Harmony on Tree Revenants, and you'll rarely get the opportunity tbh. They die way too easily.
I would aim to use them in this list to hold your own objectives aim try to stay away from the fighting as much as possible.
Verdurous Harmony can be used to keep those Kurnoth Hunters going as long as possible. Healing 1x 5 wound model with their damage output is better than 3 dryads or tree Revenants almost all the time.

Similarly with the Branchwych, she is not designed to be in combat at all. She has a couple of tricks but they are insignificant and she has no real damage output or survivability and the seed is probably just a waste. An acorn of the ages and Verdant Blessing on her are great for getting all the wyldwoods you need and then she can just support with arcane bolt and mystic shield. Ranu's Lamentiri is also a good choice as her only role is magical support really.

I am a fan of Gift of Ghyran on the Treelord, especially if one of your wizards has Regrowth (a must in this list IMO) to keep Durthu at that crazy good 6 damage on his sword. That said I'm not convinced it's better than just another Briarsheath.

Take from that what you like, your list is by no means a poor one and I'm sure it will serve you well as it is, but those are my thoughts on it. :)

Aaron

Archived