Mourngul tactics

Micha

Hello :)

so i chosed my site: death! 

I rly like the model of the Mourngul and i ordered one for me :D so now the question how did he fit into a flesh eater army? I thought of something like 30 ghouls, 1 King on Zombiedragon, 2/3 Champs which can summon ghouls (forgot the name). 1 vaghulf maybe and the Mourngul of cause. 

What do you think? I Need sone advise for the right use of  the Mourngul in combination with the flesh eater

Well in short - he doesn't really fit in. There's zero synergies between them.

That said - Mournguls are great free standing monsters (although a bit slow compared to Destruction monsters) and can tank very well. Then again blocks of Crypt Horrors with Deathless Minions can tank well and can easily be buffed to reroll hit and wound rolls.

They also distract your opponent.

The mourngul is pretty beastly as a stand alone but the thing with flesh eaters is that all their buffs are either flesh eater specific or due to being in proximity to a ghoul King. If you like the mourngul I wouldn't let this stop you taking one though. 

You can take the cursed book artefact to stack minus to hit if you put the GK and the mourngul into the same target. There aren't really any nighthaunt heroes yet so there is no true synergy to be had with the mourngul, the only one I can think of is Settra giving you extra attacks on 5s rather than 6s.

Tactics wise the mourngul is built to take down enemy elite infantry or cav. He ignores rend and the minus to hit can stop exploding mortal wounds on 6s such as retributors. His heal is based on killing models so putting him against other monsters puts you danger of not being able to heal. 

The Mourngul is very tough especially against infantry units with bravery six or less.  He doesn't synergise with the the rest of the Death alliance choices but really doesn't need any buffs.  Last week mine went through 40 beastmen by the end of the game.

Just throw it in as a wrecking ball and play the missions with the rest of your list.

On 7 August 2016 at 0:23 AM, Nico said:

Well in short - he doesn't really fit in. There's zero synergies between them.

That said - Mournguls are great free standing monsters (although a bit slow compared to Destruction monsters) and can tank very well. Then again blocks of Crypt Horrors with Deathless Minions can tank well and can easily be buffed to reroll hit and wound rolls.

They also distract your opponent.

The Mournful may get no buffs but he certainly helps out anyone he is near with the -1/2 to hit with 6.  Pop him in the middle of a tar pit unit and whatever goes into them will be affected by his aura.  Then he can fly up or over depending on how you set up.

Agree they are about the most stand alone thing we have thats not a Dragon Lord, Mortarch or Nagash.

Archived