Beating Gavriel Sureheart list

Dwarf Giant

Me and my mate have only played a handful of games but he has mentioned a tough Stormcast list using Gavriel Sureheart ...deepstrike with him and a big elite killy unit, using couple of command points giving +6 on the charge and killing a key unit/hero.

I generally use Maggotkin, Slaves to Darkness or Chaos Grand Alliance. How would you counter the above?

Screen your important units. Get a blob of plaguebearers to wrap everything you want to survive and watch him cry (or take some chaff allies).

Gav bomb is really weak to screens, and if he keeps it in the sky to try and wait you out, he's leaving a lot of power off the board. It also has a pretty big footprint, commonly being Gavriel himself and 10 Evocators - that's not easy to swing around chaff units. 

3 minutes ago, Dwarf Giant said:

When you say a blob, how many would you recommend? 20? I could take a lot of Marauders (up to 40) but not sure if that would work.

Depends on the size of his elite unit he drops. (Most likely evocators). You need to get him to charge those screen(s). So if you bring one unit of 30 that wraps everything and that works perfect. If you do so with multiple layers of 5 chaos warriors in a layered set up that’s also good. End justifies the means kind of thing. One thing I would also warn against is him getting that double turn. So think about what happens if he charges your screen and then gets another turn. But that’s hard though. 

For me I most recently used 3x 20 + 40 clanrats. 

Archived