Fly keyword, V2 and is there a search function ?

azoxystrobin

Question

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a strange question.

So I was looking at the fly keyword and I'm just wondering something here. I expect everyone knows this already or can point out any extra rules that I have probably missed.
This is the paragraph from the rules about flying.
FLYING If the warscroll for a model says that the model can fly, it can pass across models and terrain features as if they were not there when it makes any type of move. Any vertical distance up and/or down is ignored when measuring a flying model’s move. It cannot finish the move on top of another model.

But the paragraph about

ENEMY UNITS AND RETREATS When you make a normal move for a model, no part of the move can be within 3" of an enemy unit.

These paragraphs don't contradict each other. So a Flying unit cannot come within 3" of an enemy unit at any point during it's normal movement. This seems to be a change since the v1 rules where it specified something about not being allowed to end a move within 3"

So, am I just a slopoke finding out things that everyone already knew?

7 hours ago, azoxystrobin said:

It says "as if they weren't there" only for moving across models: not when being within 3" of them.
The thing about them "not being there" is for moving over friendly models, terrain and moving over models during the charge phase because some enemy units can react during the charge phase.
So still no contradiction, flying models cannot move within 3" of an enemy unit as per the rules.
Until GW FAQs it of course if it was their intention, but it doesn't look like it because the rules are clear.

I'm sorry but you're not making much sense.

If you cannot move within 3in of a model then you cannot move across models either since technically the model in question is within 3in of itself, making the the model part of the fly keyword section of the rules useless. This is the same logic as auras. If you have a unit that produces an aura then depending on the effects of the aura the model is also affected by its own aura. This would also make things awkward if the model is flying is say, Nagash and it is flying over a tiny model base, one so small that Nagash's base engulfs the tiny base of the grounded model well over 3in as well.

I also do not see where the "not being there" part of the flying keyword is only for allied models.

11Capture.PNG.46111d58136858ba1836cacc922acf27.PNG

I could not find any meaningful clarifications to this in any FAQ documents either. The closest being a question about moving between friendly units with the answer being that (any) models can do so with no issue if they can fly. 

The only other thing that I could see what is confusing you is that you may think the previous section of the rules about moving within 3in of enemy models trumps the rules regarding flying which would also be strange since GW has been getting better at fleshing out the wording of their rules. If what you are saying is true then the flying section would say that the moving across models only applies to friendly models instead of just models in general. 

If I am still not seeing what you are saying than please explain it but it seems clear to me that you allowed to move across any models if you have the fly keyword as per the rules.

It says "as if they weren't there" only for moving across models: not when being within 3" of them.
The thing about them "not being there" is for moving over friendly models, terrain and moving over models during the charge phase because some enemy units can react during the charge phase.
So still no contradiction, flying models cannot move within 3" of an enemy unit as per the rules.
Until GW FAQs it of course if it was their intention, but it doesn't look like it because the rules are clear.

The change about moving within 3in of enemy models was probably put in place to prevent a particular type of player from squeezing through a hole in the ranks of a unit during the movement phase. 

"Hey, as long as I don't end my movement within 3in its all good right? Should have placed your models on the table better! hurp derp"

As for flying, the rule says it itself. You can move across models as if they weren't there. There is no issue about moving within 3in if there are no models to worry about right? That being said, you still cant end your movement within 3in since the rules specify that this only occurs as you move across the models and not when you finish your movement. 

Archived