New Seraphon player using upcoming Battleforce, Start Collecting plus extra..?

Snakeb1te

LEADERS
Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (260)
- Artefact : Light of Dracothion
Skink Starpriest (80)
Slann Starmaster (260)
- General
- Command Trait : Vast Intellect
Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur (240)
- War Spear

UNITS
10 x Skinks (60)
-Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
10 x Skinks (60)
-Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
10 x Saurus Warriors (100)
-Clubs

3 x Terradon Riders (120)
-Sunleech Bolas
3 x Terradon Riders (120)
-Sunleech Bolas
3 x Kroxigor (160)

BEHEMOTHS
Bastiladon (280)
Stegadon (220)

TOTAL: 1960/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 113
LEADERS: 4/6 BATTLELINES: 3 (3+) BEHEMOTHS: 4/4 ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 1/1 ALLIES: 0/400

So the idea is to  make use of all the models I get in the Starclaw Battleforce, Start Collecting, plus some extras like a Stegadon, Kroxigors and Slann.

I can magnetise all options, so in theory I could use any variant (particularly Steg and Bastiladon). I'm actually going to model the Troglodon and pretend it counts as Carnosaurus, just because the base size is the same and model looks great.

Anyway, it has decent ranged with the Terradons, Steg and Bastiladon. The melee would consist of the two Carnosaurus and Kroxigors. Can always summon in the remaining Cold Ones with the Celestial rolls, or if I  lose the Warriors/Skinks I can resummon them back on the board. I'm not looking to play particularly summon heavy, and I'm not a big fan of the dated Saurus models. That being said I'm open-minded to advice. I know I don't have any batallions, and certain units might not be ideal, so feel free to go ahead and tell me what to replace things with.

Alternatively, I'm happy for someone to simply tell me the strengths and weaknesses of this kind of army. Thanks!! The only definite is that I will be getting the Battleforce and can easily magnetise. The rest of my purchases I'm happy to take advice on,  such as skipping the Start Collecting as I don't enjoy the Saurus models, or dare I say buying two Starclaw Battleforces? I am a very new AoS player and I play with friends so I'm not looking for cookie cutter necessarily, but you can suggest strong combos and I can choose to take softer options if I feel it'll be too powerful against my newbie friends. For reference, friends play Stormcast Eternals, Khorne, Sylvaneth, Ironjawz.

Get Croak. Croak ruins everything. Croak is not fun to play against... haha

I've played Seraphon a few times and never beaten them using freeguild. 

The old blood on the carnasaur has been particularly brutal with its ability to teleport and then attack. My opponent was also very handy with Saurus knights and their infinite attacks in big units so maybe consider them as well, they were very good at tying down my heavy hitters.  

6 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Get Croak. Croak ruins everything. Croak is not fun to play against... haha

I've played Seraphon a few times and never beaten them using freeguild. 

The old blood on the carnasaur has been particularly brutal with its ability to teleport and then attack. My opponent was also very handy with Saurus knights and their infinite attacks in big units so maybe consider them as well, they were very good at tying down my heavy hitters.  

Why should the Knights get infinite attacks? They have four and none have rend, I didn't realise they were any good. As for the Carnosaur teleporting, you must've been fairly unlucky for the dino to still be able to charge you at 9". Teleporting it is cool but once it gets a kill and can run and charge I wonder if teleporting it would be the best use for that ability.

12 minutes ago, Snakeb1te said:

Why should the Knights get infinite attacks? They have four and none have rend, I didn't realise they were any good. As for the Carnosaur teleporting, you must've been fairly unlucky for the dino to still be able to charge you at 9". Teleporting it is cool but once it gets a kill and can run and charge I wonder if teleporting it would be the best use for that ability.

In large units copping 4 attacks/model from fast moving units is pretty tough to deal with. As freeguild, they caused pain. Admittedly I did not use my great company ability well at all and terrain blocked my gunners from supporting the guard. Basically, good amount of attacks even without rend, they move fast and can tie up units very quickly. They also ignore rend up to -2 with shields and can do mortal wounds when charging with the blazing lances ability. Given my experience against them, they're worth a 2nd look. 

The carnosaur is a good killer if you can roll well to charge after teleporting, particularly if you roll well with the sunstone spear (3 attacks, D3 damage at -1 rend). Also 5 attacks at 3 damage with the jaws (assuming it's taken few wounds) is painful. In the last game I played it was able to slaughter my greatswords after a decent charge. You can really dish the damage if you attack smaller units and roll well. Be careful teleporting with it though because it can get isolated and picked off if you fail other teleport rolls supporting it, especially against shooty armies. 

Archived