Kharadron overlords starter force

fanatical-mushroom-addict

Hi there a friend of mine is getting into kharadron overlords and hasn't made any purchases yet. He was planning to get the ironclad, start collecting, a box of endrinriggers and a box of basic troops (i cant remember the name) and probably another hero for support and stuff like that. Is that a good starting point/ small army? Is the battleforce box a good idea? The main idea of the force is going to be a lot of people in the one ship with flying small people and small ship around outside. IS that a good strategy for annihalation based semi competitive games? Is it fun but not unplayable (with or against) because we had some trouble with some kroak and arkhan lists neither of us could shift.

The start collecting isn’t a bad collection of units, but aside from the endrinriggers, nothing is particularly essential. 

If he wants an ironclad at 1000 pts, I’d do:

Aetheric Navigator

2 x 10 Arkanauts

6 Endrinriggers

Ironclad

You’d get all that in  one boat, and if you go Barak Zilfin can deepstrike the whole lot. Ideally you want a khemist, but I wouldn’t halve the number of riggers just to get one at 1000pts. 

Alternatively replace the navigator with an endrinmaster, and the riggers with a unit of 10 thunderers, and deploy a gun line from your boat.

Unfortunately, neither the start collecting or the battleforce (if you can still find one) will get you much closer than just buying the units individually. Both are reasonable buys if you are looking to round out a varied force, and try out all the units, but won’t give you an optimised force exactly.

One last tip - if going for the first list, use the skypikes you get with the endrinriggers (in case you wanted to build the alternative, which you don’t), to kit out your Arkanauts with 3 x skypikes each. You will be trying to alpha strike in melee, backed only by the ironclad shooting. If the second list, it might be worth buying 3 boxes of Arkanauts (you will want this anyway if expanding up to 2000 at some stage) so you can kit your 2 Arkanauts units out with 3x guns each, as this list is aiming to stay at ranged more.

That’s a very good selection of points and it’s a lot to think about. Thank you very much. He would want to build it to a 1500 point force though, so would those purchases be better value in a 1500 than a 1000 point list? Also we’re not super competitive so it doesn’t need to be top tier, just not under or over powered and fun to play

At 1500 you’d need another Arkanaut company, and I’d certainly get a khemist. Then I’d get 6 more endrinriggers for the first list, or 10 more thunderers for the second. Not sure the bf/sc will help much still in either case! There are options though - could squeeze in a frigate instead maybe, if you want to try them out/like the model and/or idea of them; though personally I don’t think it would add as much as riggers/thunderers.

The list won’t be top tier anyway ? but with the right units KO can be reasonably competitive and are fun to play. Sort of depends on what you’re going to play against him.

Archived