Afraid of finecast

DeviantDoc

Hej there!

I returned to the hobby after a longer hiatus of about seven years. I know my way around mould line removal, drilling, pinning, repositioning etc., with plastic and metal models. Finecast was not available when I left.

Today I received my first finecast GW mail order miniatures (Khorne Lord on charger and one exalted chaos hero) and boy was I shocked by the amount of flash on the shoes and the uncountable “drain” channels. I can not see any grievous miscast or air bubbles, but mould lines and the above mentioned spikey, chunky flash.

Now I heard horror stories about brittle finecast, breaking while cleaning  the minis, remaining release agent even after scrubbing, etc.

Can you advice me on clean up, tools, tips, tricks and advice? I generally do use fine clippers away from the cutting point, exacto blade, needle file, etc.

Do you pin finecast? Can it be pinned safely or does it break as I often paint in subassembly. Super glue advice (Germany)? What is your take on the mould line removal tool by citadel? Is it worthwhile to get this for resin?

I am really afraid  to mess these models up...

I have never had any issues removing flash and such from fine cast.  Most of the time breaks happen during play in my experience.  Same for cleaning, nice scrub with a soft brush in warm soapy water.

I’ve always just treated it like softer plastic.  

2 hours ago, DeviantDoc said:

Now I heard horror stories about brittle finecast, breaking while cleaning  the minis, remaining release agent even after scrubbing, etc.

Do you pin finecast? Can it be pinned safely or does it break as I often paint in subassembly. Super glue advice (Germany)? What is your take on the mould line removal tool by citadel? Is it worthwhile to get this for resin?

Those stories are unfortunately all true, this stuff deserves its reputation. They're often also cases of bad luck, though, so if your luck is good, you might be ok!

You can pin it as safely as you can do anything else to it... if you're slow and careful it should be fine. I've pinned it before without problems. The mould line remover is very useful for plastic, but personally I wouldn't trust it near finecast, I prefer something with more precision like a small knife. Then again, I keep away from finecast as much as possible.

Be careful when washing it to get rid of the mould releasing agent - if you're used to working with resin from Forge World or from other companies, this stuff is way more sensitive to temperature (you may have heard about it deforming in hot summer weather? happened to one of my minis) and quite a lot softer. You'll need a softer brush and water that isn't too warm. 

Archived