New to AoS, Helping my son build his first army (Nagash 1000 points).

Deja vu

To me it looks crazy but I wanted some one elses opinion. 

Here is his war scroll: 

Allegiance: Grand Host of Nagash
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800)

Battleline
10 x Zombies (60)
10 x Zombies (60)

Endless Spells
Umbral Spellportal (60)
Soulsnare Shackles (20)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 36

I think Nagash is too expencive for a 1000 point game but I may be wrong... Need an honest (but nice) opinion from some people with more experience. 

Well he definitely is but hes totally fun anyways. I would do direwolves for the 2 battleline. More solid than 10 man zombies and can be more independent away from the big guy. Plus they are only one box set so cheaper and easy enough to paint. Plus dire wolves stay competetive at high point games. Zombies don't.

If you are worried about nagash in a small game you could look at the skeleton start collecting with arkhan. Get a malignant start collecting. Go from there. Great flexibility and arkhan, skeletons, and mortis engine are top tier with the two big models make amazing centerpieces to work on.

Build up painting skills with the hosts, then more detail with the skeletons. Move onto bigger and cooler looking nights and then you have better painting skills to work on the mortis engine and arkhan

He is too much for a 1k game but it depends what your son's after. If he just wants an awesome model with great rules to mess about with, playing against friends/family, then I'd say go for it. If he wants to be competitive then I'd probably echo what PFI says above. The start collecting sets are an awesome place to start and offer some juicy centerpiece models.  

Nagash is a bit expensive and as these guys say the start collecting sets are great but if you want the cheapest army for the value possible I recommend the death half of the start collecting. It comes to around 1000 points and has everything you need for an army. From there a start collecting malignants set is probably the best as it fits with the ghost theme and isn't too many models. So you get the magic and cool model and rules from nagash while having a balanced and competitive army. personally i play deathrattle themes (corpse cart, 40+ skeletons, vamp lords and necromancers etc) but for a new player lots of old metal kits and expensive hard to paint hordes can't be recommended imo. An elite army while not being so one dimensional and weak is what id go with.

Plus as malignants and soul wars ghosties are still getting new releases then they are fully supported and wonderful models really.

Also for the price point you could always buy one of the big legions of nagash sets then follow it up with skeletons for a slightly more expensive yet more balanced list.

If hes set on that list then it will still be a good and mostly viable list in a semi competitive setting but you can get the same sorts of things and attributes from a more balanced and viable list.

(just some ideas don't take it to heart or as gospel, i just want to give some options for you to consider considering)

Archived